Volkswagen In Hot Pursuit Of No. 1 Spot Among Global Automakers
November 24, 2012 4:01 PM EST
Driving to become the world's largest automaker by the end of this decade, Volkswagen AG said Friday it plans to make €50.2 billion ($64.7 billion) in strategic investments during the next three years.
It will spend some of the funds on expanding its presence outside Europe, such as new factories in markets such as China, Mexico, and Russia, Reuters reported.
And it will spend some of the money on products and technology to consolidate its lead over its stricken Western European peers, Reuters said.
"Despite the challenging economic environment, we are investing more than ever before to reach our long-term goals," Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn said in a statement quoted by the news agency.
Based in Wolfsburg, Germany, VW said its capital expenditure would total €39.2 billion, or 6 to 7 percent of sales, during the three-year period between 2013 and 2015, broadly in line with analyst estimates.
This means VW will invest almost as much in property, plants, and equipment over the next three years as analysts see the Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM) and General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) spending on combined basis, according to Thomson Reuters StarMine.
Toyota is currently the No. 1 carmaker globally.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS