Volkswagen In Hot Pursuit Of No. 1 Spot Among Global Automakers
November 24, 2012 4:01 PM EST
Driving to become the world's largest automaker by the end of this decade, Volkswagen AG said Friday it plans to make €50.2 billion ($64.7 billion) in strategic investments during the next three years.
It will spend some of the funds on expanding its presence outside Europe, such as new factories in markets such as China, Mexico, and Russia, Reuters reported.
And it will spend some of the money on products and technology to consolidate its lead over its stricken Western European peers, Reuters said.
"Despite the challenging economic environment, we are investing more than ever before to reach our long-term goals," Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn said in a statement quoted by the news agency.
Based in Wolfsburg, Germany, VW said its capital expenditure would total €39.2 billion, or 6 to 7 percent of sales, during the three-year period between 2013 and 2015, broadly in line with analyst estimates.
This means VW will invest almost as much in property, plants, and equipment over the next three years as analysts see the Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM) and General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) spending on combined basis, according to Thomson Reuters StarMine.
Toyota is currently the No. 1 carmaker globally.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone