Chevy Chase Leaves ‘Community’ Cast Before Season 4 Is Finished
By Tom Herrmann | November 24, 2012 5:43 AM EST
The NBC sitcom “Community” hit another roadblock in its quest to get back on the air. After having its fourth-season premiere date pushed back many times, with the first episode now slated for Feb. 7, the Wrap reports that Chevy Chase is leaving the cast.
According to the Wrap, the 69-year-old comedic actor is leaving the show's cast after what the publication describes as a “rocky run.” Chase’s departure is apparently the result of a mutual agreement with the producers of the "meta" TV show; Chase's character, Pierce, will not be in the final one or two episodes of the show's run.
The ex “Saturday Night Live” star had a public feud with series creator and showrunner Dan Harmon that made things tense on the set. Apparently, the issues didn’t subside when Harmon was unceremoniously removed from the set and new showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio took over the series for the abbreviated fourth season.
There were allegations that Chase used the N-word in an on-set tirade last month while complaining about how racist his character Pierce Hawthorn was. The quote wasn’t racist in context, as the actor was concerned that his time on the show would lead to him having to use the word, and he later apologized for speaking it, the New York Daily News reported.
This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, as Chase told the Huffington Post, "I probably won't be around that much longer, frankly." That quote was given in March.
"I have creative issues with this show," Chase said in the HuffPost interview. Chase continued with strong words, saying, "I always have [had issues]. With my character, with how far you can take [Joel McHale's] character ... just to give him a long speech about the world at the end of every episode is so reminiscent. It's like being relegated to hell and watching 'Howdy Doody' for the rest of your life. It's not particularly necessary, but that's the way they do these things. I think it belies the very pretenses that his character, Jeff, has, that he's giving these talks. They're supposed to, in some way, be a little lesson to people who watch sitcoms ... to that degree, I can't stand sitcoms. ... I think, if you know me and my humor over the years, you know that this is certainly not my kind of thing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'