Clown Robert Blasetti Dies in Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in New York
By Hannah Osborne | November 24, 2012 5:47 AM EST
A clown died at the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in New York after going into cardiac arrest.
Robert Blasetti, 67, suffered a heart attack in front of hundreds of spectators. He was with his wife, Irene, who was also dressed as a clown.
She tried to revive her husband with CPR but he was pronounced dead in hospital.
The two were making balloon animals at Sixth Avenue and West 39th Street.
Witness Tuvia Yamnik told the New York Post: "All of a sudden he collapsed and fell on his back. People came to him right away. It didn't look like he was breathing. People started pumping his chest."
Orlando Veras, a spokesman for Macy's, added: "We are saddened to report that a marcher in the Macy's Parade suffered a medical emergency."
He would not say if Blasetti was a Macy's employee.
Charles Sutton, 58, also suffered from a fatal heart attack during the parade. The NYPD employee collapsed during the parade and was pronounced dead at hospital.
The Thanksgiving Parade is an annual event that was first held in 1924. Following Superstorm Sandy, many parts of New York were still suffering from problems caused by the extreme weather.
As a result, Macy's and New York collectively distributed 5,000 parade tickets to the storm's victims.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg said: "We wanted to make sure everybody got a chance to look on the bright side. We have a lot to be thankful for in spite of Hurricane Sandy."
It is estimated that this year's parade attracted over three million people, and watched by 50 million more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’