Clown Dies Following Collapse During Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade; Photos Surface
By Tom Herrmann | November 24, 2012 3:49 AM EST
Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade was marred by the death of a performer when an elderly clown collapsed and died. The Associated Press reports that a 67-year-old clown from Yonkers went into cardiac arrest in front of terrified spectators while making balloon animals at Sixth Avenue and West 39th St. on Thursday.
The New York Daily News posted a series of photos that were taken shortly after the collapse. They show Robert Blasetti, the 67-year-old man who died during the Thanksgiving parade, as he was put into an ambulance, along with the shocked spectators around him.
Blasetti’s wife, Irene, who was wearing a matching clown outfit, reportedly attempted to give her husband CPR, according to the New York Post. Her attempt was ineffective.
A bystander took over the CPR efforts to revive the fallen performer. The Daily News published photos of Blasetti’s wife weeping in a cart as she was transported from the scene.
“All of a sudden he collapsed and fell on his back,” the post said witness Tuvia Yannik said. “People came to him right away. It didn’t look like he was breathing. People started pumping his chest.”
The Post states that they do not know exactly how long it took an ambulance to get through the packed streets. There were conflicting reports from witnesses.
It has not yet been confirmed by Macy’s officials if Blasetti was an employee of the company.
"We are saddened to report that a marcher in the Macy’s Parade suffered a medical emergency,” said Macy’s spokesman Orlando Veras, according to the Post. An ambulance was there “within a minute.”
Charles Sutton, 58, also suffered a fatal heart attack, but not during the parade. The civilian NYPD employee collapsed as he connected a car to be towed off the parade route at West 57th Street and Sixth Avenue.
Both men were pronounced dead at Roosevelt Hospital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS