Clown Dies Following Collapse During Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade; Photos Surface
By Tom Herrmann | November 24, 2012 3:49 AM EST
Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade was marred by the death of a performer when an elderly clown collapsed and died. The Associated Press reports that a 67-year-old clown from Yonkers went into cardiac arrest in front of terrified spectators while making balloon animals at Sixth Avenue and West 39th St. on Thursday.
The New York Daily News posted a series of photos that were taken shortly after the collapse. They show Robert Blasetti, the 67-year-old man who died during the Thanksgiving parade, as he was put into an ambulance, along with the shocked spectators around him.
Blasetti’s wife, Irene, who was wearing a matching clown outfit, reportedly attempted to give her husband CPR, according to the New York Post. Her attempt was ineffective.
A bystander took over the CPR efforts to revive the fallen performer. The Daily News published photos of Blasetti’s wife weeping in a cart as she was transported from the scene.
“All of a sudden he collapsed and fell on his back,” the post said witness Tuvia Yannik said. “People came to him right away. It didn’t look like he was breathing. People started pumping his chest.”
The Post states that they do not know exactly how long it took an ambulance to get through the packed streets. There were conflicting reports from witnesses.
It has not yet been confirmed by Macy’s officials if Blasetti was an employee of the company.
"We are saddened to report that a marcher in the Macy’s Parade suffered a medical emergency,” said Macy’s spokesman Orlando Veras, according to the Post. An ambulance was there “within a minute.”
Charles Sutton, 58, also suffered a fatal heart attack, but not during the parade. The civilian NYPD employee collapsed as he connected a car to be towed off the parade route at West 57th Street and Sixth Avenue.
Both men were pronounced dead at Roosevelt Hospital.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners