James Bond Studio Makes Huge Layoffs
By Edward Smith | November 24, 2012 3:35 AM EST
Derby-based game developer Eurocom has announced that it will lose over 150 of its staff as the company faces a major "restructuring."
The studio, which has recently been responsible for James Bond game 007 Legends will now less than fifty employees and focus on mobile games.
In an official statement to Game Industry, studio director Hugh Binns said that a "steep decline" in console game sales had contributed to Eurocom's financial difficulties:
"Eurocom are undertaking a restructuring which I regret to say has meant we've made the majority of our workforce redundant today," explained Binns. "This includes many very experienced, talented and highly skilled employees, and we'd like to thank them all for your hard work and efforts.
"We've fought to try and save as many jobs as possible, but the steep decline in demand for console games, culminating in a number of console projects falling through in the last week, left us with no option. Eurocom has retained a core staff of just under 50 employees and will be focusing mainly on mobile opportunities moving forward."
Eurocom was founded in 1988 and has since developed a reputation for making film and television programme tie-in games. Since releasing James Bond Jr. in 1991, the company has created several games based on James Bond, including 007: Nightfire for the PS2 and the recent reboot of Goldeneye for the Nintendo Wii. It's most recent game, 007 Legends, was poorly received by critics.
The Derby Telegraph has reported that exactly 155 employees have been made redundant from Eurocom, with only 42 workers left at the company. Eurocom has also filed a job vacancy for a new financial administrator.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones