Brent Down as Cease-Fire Agreement Holds
By Laura Brodbeck | November 24, 2012 2:06 AM EST
Brent crude oil slipped on Friday morning, trading at $110.34. A cease-fire agreement between Israel and Hamas took the market's focus off of supply interruption worry for the moment and returned the spotlight to the possibility of weaker demand in 2013.
With Europe in the middle of a highly publicized stalemate between EU finance officials and IMF Director Christine Lagarde over how to restructure Greece's bailout terms, many are expecting the region and its common currency to take a massive hit. A final meeting on Monday should result in a decision, and a bit of confidence will be restored in the region.
In the U.S., a bundle of tax increases and spending cuts set to kick in January 1, is weighing on Brent prices as well. The U.S. government has until the New Year to make a decision about how to manage the country's deficit before it reaches a ‘fiscal cliff' and the bundle takes effect. The ‘fiscal cliff' is forecast by some to send the country into a deep recession.
Though demand worries have taken center stage, trouble in the Middle East still plays a roll supporting Brent prices in the background. The cease-fire agreement, though holding for the past two days, is not considered strong enough to last for a significant period of time and many believe the truce won't last long.
Also playing into the instability in the Middle East is Israel's tense relationship with Iran. Since Iran began developing a nuclear program, it has faced heavy sanctions from the west and even threats from Israel, who believes the program is a very real threat. According to Bloomberg, Israeli leaders made statements claiming that they will consider every option, including military strikes, to prevent the program's further development.
(c) 2012 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza