Battle of the Captains: Smith Hits Back After Clarke Double Hundred
By Vanessa Keller | November 24, 2012 12:49 AM EST
South Africa have hit back on the second day of the second test against Australia, with captain Graeme Smith making an unbeaten 111, leaving his side well-placed as they reply to the hosts' massive total of 550.
South Africa currently sit on 217-2, though Michael Clarke had put Australia in the best position possible with his 224 runs, until the skipper was dismissed at the start of the day after scoring six.
Fast bowler Morne Morkel picked up his game, taking five wickets including three in four overs to drag South Africa back into the match, after a chastening first day for the tourists.
And Smith continued the side's turnaround by batting a century, while Hashim Amla and Alviro Petersen departed for 11 and 54 respectively. No4 Jacques Rudolph finished the day not out on 25.
Morkel said that a difficult first day gave the South African side the wake up call they needed, telling reporters: "We're a team that realised and knew what was needed to be done. The time for talking was over so we needed to react and we needed to step up and pull up our socks.
"I know it wasn't our best performance yesterday but it was also a performance we needed to put to bed.
"This team always finds a way to fight back and I think in a way you can never count us out and we'll fight hard for the next few days and hopefully we can go well."
Morkel's achievement with the ball - it was his first five-wicket haul on Australian soil - was somewhat overshadowed by Smith's century with the bat later in the day.
But the 28-year-old was happy to hand over the limelight to the man who he says is a brilliant captain.
"He [Smith] is one of the best captains I've ever played with," Morkel explained. "The amount of passion and pride he's got for this country and the way he's leading - a lot of the people don't see what's happening in the changing room, behind the scenes.
"We needed a guy up front to be solid and he's still there... I hope tomorrow can be a really big day for him."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display