Liverpool and Tottenham Striker Target Hints at Chelsea Move
By Nick Howson | November 24, 2012 12:02 AM EST
Internacional forward Leandro Damiao has hinted he would be prepared to join Chelsea so he can link up with Brazilian midfielder Oscar.
The 23 year old has scored 18 goals in 2012 for an Internacional side who finished eighth in Serie A, and thus missing out on a place in the Copa Libertadores.
And Damiao, who has previously been linked with a move to Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur, says that he would like to link up once again with Brazilian and Chelsea midfielder Oscar, both of whom spend two-and-a-half years together at Internacional.
"Oscar is a fantastic player," Damiao said.
"I had an excellent relationship with him on the field at Internacional and it is true that I would like to be reunited with Oscar. We still play together when fielded for Brazil.
"But, I have a contract to honour at Internacional. Regardless of the fact that Internacional will not play the Copa Libertadores next year, I maintain my focus here at Internacional.
"It is not an incentive to leave. When a European club will come to the fore, we will see.
"I have a contract until 2015 with Internacional and for the moment, despite all the rumours, I am staying where I am and that is in Porte Alegre with Internacional," the forward added.
"The Premier League holds great attraction, of course. I was in England for quite some time during the Olympics and it is a great country with good people. But for the moment I am staying put."
Damiao netted six goals during the Olympic football competition, in which Brazil claimed the silver medal and his intention to link up again with Oscar, who has made a sterling start to life in English football, will raise hopes that Chelsea can complete a deal for the highly rated forward.
Despite Damiao's intention to play in next season's Copa Libertadores, Chelsea are likely to move for a striker in the January transfer window, and such is his form, the Champions League holders would surely be among those interested suitors.
Tottenham had a bid for Damiao rejected in the summer and eventually had to settle on Emmanuel Adebayor and Jermain Defoe as their first-team strike force for the new campaign.
Spurs have often been linked with the Brazil international's signature, while Liverpool are another club who have been rumoured with having an interest, with midfielder Lucas insisting the club should make a move for Damiao earlier this week.
"Neymar would be my first choice, but as I know it is almost impossible to bring him to Liverpool, I would choose Leandro Damião," the returning Lucas said.
"He knows how to play with his back to goal, and he would adapt well to the Premier League."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier