India v England: Panesar Stars but Pujara Frustrates Visitors again
By Vishnuprasad S | November 23, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Cheteshwar Pujara posted his second century of the series to steady the ship for India and keep England at bay on the first day of the second Test at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
England looked on top for most of the day's proceedings, with the hosts struggling at 166/6, soon after tea. However, an unbeaten seventh wicket partnership of 97 between Pujara (114 not out) and Ravichandran Ashwin (60 not out) means India, who closed the day on 266/6, hold the edge on a track that looks increasingly difficult for batting heading into the second day.
Monty Panesar, back in the squad after missing the first Test, has been the standout performer for the visitors. The 30 year old took four key wickets, with Virender Sehwag (30), Sachin Tendulkar (8), Virat Kohli (19) and MS Dhoni (29) all falling before his left-arm orthodox spin.
However, the day belonged to Pujara, who came up with yet another masterclass to follow up his double century in the first Test. The 24 year old walked out to the middle as early as the first over, after James Anderson packed off opener Gautam Gambhir (4) and batted through the day, anchoring the innings for India.
Meanwhile, all-rounder Ashwin, who hit a century the last time he batted on the Wankhede pitch (against West Indies in 2011), brought up a cracking fifty in quick time in the last session, to offer support to Pujara and add some crucial lower-order runs to the Indian total.
England made two changes to the team that lost the first Test by nine wickets, with Jonny Bairstow coming in for Ian Bell, who returned home for his child's birth, while Tim Bresnan made way for Panesar. On the other hand, India - who won the toss - deemed the pitch as ideal for spin and included a third spinner in Harbhajan Singh, at the expense of pacer Umesh Yadav.
Day 3 Summary
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6