India v England: Panesar Stars but Pujara Frustrates Visitors again
By Vishnuprasad S | November 23, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Cheteshwar Pujara posted his second century of the series to steady the ship for India and keep England at bay on the first day of the second Test at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
England looked on top for most of the day's proceedings, with the hosts struggling at 166/6, soon after tea. However, an unbeaten seventh wicket partnership of 97 between Pujara (114 not out) and Ravichandran Ashwin (60 not out) means India, who closed the day on 266/6, hold the edge on a track that looks increasingly difficult for batting heading into the second day.
Monty Panesar, back in the squad after missing the first Test, has been the standout performer for the visitors. The 30 year old took four key wickets, with Virender Sehwag (30), Sachin Tendulkar (8), Virat Kohli (19) and MS Dhoni (29) all falling before his left-arm orthodox spin.
However, the day belonged to Pujara, who came up with yet another masterclass to follow up his double century in the first Test. The 24 year old walked out to the middle as early as the first over, after James Anderson packed off opener Gautam Gambhir (4) and batted through the day, anchoring the innings for India.
Meanwhile, all-rounder Ashwin, who hit a century the last time he batted on the Wankhede pitch (against West Indies in 2011), brought up a cracking fifty in quick time in the last session, to offer support to Pujara and add some crucial lower-order runs to the Indian total.
England made two changes to the team that lost the first Test by nine wickets, with Jonny Bairstow coming in for Ian Bell, who returned home for his child's birth, while Tim Bresnan made way for Panesar. On the other hand, India - who won the toss - deemed the pitch as ideal for spin and included a third spinner in Harbhajan Singh, at the expense of pacer Umesh Yadav.
Day 3 Summary
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone