India v England: Panesar Stars but Pujara Frustrates Visitors again
By Vishnuprasad S | November 23, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Cheteshwar Pujara posted his second century of the series to steady the ship for India and keep England at bay on the first day of the second Test at the Wankhede stadium in Mumbai.
England looked on top for most of the day's proceedings, with the hosts struggling at 166/6, soon after tea. However, an unbeaten seventh wicket partnership of 97 between Pujara (114 not out) and Ravichandran Ashwin (60 not out) means India, who closed the day on 266/6, hold the edge on a track that looks increasingly difficult for batting heading into the second day.
Monty Panesar, back in the squad after missing the first Test, has been the standout performer for the visitors. The 30 year old took four key wickets, with Virender Sehwag (30), Sachin Tendulkar (8), Virat Kohli (19) and MS Dhoni (29) all falling before his left-arm orthodox spin.
However, the day belonged to Pujara, who came up with yet another masterclass to follow up his double century in the first Test. The 24 year old walked out to the middle as early as the first over, after James Anderson packed off opener Gautam Gambhir (4) and batted through the day, anchoring the innings for India.
Meanwhile, all-rounder Ashwin, who hit a century the last time he batted on the Wankhede pitch (against West Indies in 2011), brought up a cracking fifty in quick time in the last session, to offer support to Pujara and add some crucial lower-order runs to the Indian total.
England made two changes to the team that lost the first Test by nine wickets, with Jonny Bairstow coming in for Ian Bell, who returned home for his child's birth, while Tim Bresnan made way for Panesar. On the other hand, India - who won the toss - deemed the pitch as ideal for spin and included a third spinner in Harbhajan Singh, at the expense of pacer Umesh Yadav.
Day 3 Summary
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People