ECB's Weidmann - "monetary policy is not a panacea"
November 23, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Monetary policy is not a panacea and overburdening it is not the way to produce a lasting basis for strong and stable growth, European Central Bank policymaker Jens Weidmann said on Friday.
"If the house is burning, putting out the fire has to be the most pressing concern," he said in a keynote speech to a banking conference before adding that policymakers must beware that they are "not unwittingly preparing the ground for the next fire."
"Overburdening monetary policy ... cannot provide a lasting basis for strong and stable growth," Weidmann said. "The crisis has blurred the boundaries between monetary policy and fiscal policy."
"Monetary policy is not a panacea," he added.
(Reporting by Eva Kuehnen and Sakari Suoninen, writing by Paul Carrel)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date