ECB's Weidmann - "monetary policy is not a panacea"
November 23, 2012 11:14 PM EST
Monetary policy is not a panacea and overburdening it is not the way to produce a lasting basis for strong and stable growth, European Central Bank policymaker Jens Weidmann said on Friday.
"If the house is burning, putting out the fire has to be the most pressing concern," he said in a keynote speech to a banking conference before adding that policymakers must beware that they are "not unwittingly preparing the ground for the next fire."
"Overburdening monetary policy ... cannot provide a lasting basis for strong and stable growth," Weidmann said. "The crisis has blurred the boundaries between monetary policy and fiscal policy."
"Monetary policy is not a panacea," he added.
(Reporting by Eva Kuehnen and Sakari Suoninen, writing by Paul Carrel)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase