Tottenham Have Second Offer Rejected for Roma Midfielder - Report
By Adrian Back | November 23, 2012 10:50 PM EST
Tottenham are believed to have been rebuffed in their efforts to sign Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic after a £12m offer was rejected by the Italian side.
The north London club attempted to sign Pjanic in the summer but were unable to convince Roma to part with the 22-year-old.
The Mirror has reported that during Tottenham's trip to Rome on Thursday for the Europa League tie against Lazio, officials tabled an offer of £12million for Pjanic was immediately rejected.
Spurs had hoped to bring the Bosnia and Herzegovina international to White Hart Lane in January but it seems Roma are determined to keep one of their most talented midfielders.
Roma general manager Franco Baldini is clearly keen to keep hold of the midfielder who demonstrated his ability last weekend when he scored a free-kick from all of 45 yards in the 3-2 loss to rivals Lazio.
The agent of Pjanic, Michele Gerbino, has also suggested that the midfielder is unlikely to be sold in the New Year, but has given Tottenham some hope by saying his situation could change in the summer.
"It is difficult to see Miralem moving during the season but we will look at the sums at the end of the season," he said.
Pjanic cost the Italian side £9million when he moved from Lyon in the summer of 2011 and he instantly made an impact in the Roma side as he contributed three goals and nine assists in the league.
With 37 caps already to his name for Bosnia, he has firmly established himself in the national side and would certainly add some creativity to the Tottenham side.
Spurs have struggled in recent games without the influence of the injured Moussa Dembele in central midfield, with Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson yet to show their best from since signing in the summer.
Andre Villas-Boas is clearly keen to recruit the midfielder and it seems he is not yet satisfied with the options he has in midfield after Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart both departed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown