2G Row: PAC Chief Joshi Demands Apology From Sonia Gandhi Over 'BJP Exposed' Remark
By ambrosia sabrina | November 23, 2012 10:38 PM EST
Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi and senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi sought an apology from Congress president Sonia Gandhi for going offensive with her remark in the latest 2G spectrum allocation controversy.
On Friday, Gandhi said that the BJP stood "exposed" after RP Singh, a former Director General with the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), made startling revelations of the agency's 2G spectrum audit report. Singh claimed that the outcome of the report, containing a "presumptive loss" figure of ₹1.76 lakh crore, was audited under Joshi's influence. His allegations prompted the government to call for an immediate probe into the matter.
Joshi dismissed the charges against him as false and said he would quit from his post if proven guilty. "I never influenced anybody on the outcome of the 2G report. If RP Singh (ex-CAG principal audit officer) has signed the report, he should own it," Joshi told IBN Live.
Taking note of Gandhi's remark against the BJP, Joshi said that the Congress was seeking to malign the CAG and PAC.
"The Congress just wants to prove that they are the holy cows and we the crooks. This is not only a direct attempt to destroy the CAG, but the country as well," IBN Live quoted him as saying.
RP Singh's allegations sparked furore even with the Left parties, which are now demanding Joshi to clarify if he had any influence on the report.
Standing firm by their colleague, BJP members refuted the allegations by the ex-CAG official.
"Why did not RP Singh say anything for a year. He is a pawn in the hand of the government and the Congress. This is a conspiracy. They just want to weaken the CAG and they repeatedly want to raise questions and allegations against the CAG," said BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad, according to NDTV.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen