Ranbaxy Recalls Generic Lipitor In US For Possible Presence Of Glass Particle
By Sreeja V N | November 23, 2012 10:02 PM EST
Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd, India’s largest drug manufacturer by sales, has announced a voluntary recall of its cholesterol-lowering generic drug -- Lipitor -- from the U.S. market.
Ranbaxy’s U.S. wing, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc, has recalled various batches of the Atorvastatin calcium tablets -- a generic version of the Lipitor drug -- from the market, the company has said in a statement.
“Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. is conducting a voluntary recall for Atorvastatin calcium tablets, in connection with its 10mg 20mg and 40mg dosage strengths, packaged in 90’s and 500 count bottles and only with respect to certain select lot numbers. The recall does not affect or relate to the 80mg strength,” according to a statement on the company’s website.
Ranbaxy was the first company to launch the generic version of the Lipitor after Pfizer Inc's patent expired in November, 2011. The drug was responsible for generating $600 million in sales for the company.
Ranbaxy had compliance issues with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the past. The FDA banned shipments from some of Ranbaxy’s manufacturing units in 2009 following which the company agreed to take corrective steps in its plants, Reuters reported.
However, industry experts have said that the current recall indicates that such corrective measures are not adequate and the recall will affect the company’s revenues.
"The development will impact the company's credibility to an extent," said Bhagwan Singh Chaudhary, a research associate at the brokerage IndiaNivesh
"There have been issues in the past (about compliance) and a recall suggests, corrective measures suggested by the US FDA are not being implemented," he added, according to Reuters.
However, Ranbaxy said that the recall was being done keeping customers’ safety in mind and the FDA had full knowledge of the issue.
“The recall is being conducted at the retail level for such select batches that may contain a foreign substance (small glass particles approximately less than 1mm in size). Ranbaxy is proactively recalling the drug product lots out of an abundance of caution, and in keeping the safety of our customers in mind. This recall is being conducted with the full knowledge of the U.S. FDA,” the company said.
Click here for the complete list of the batches of drug being recalled.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Loses Second Child, Duchess Suffered Miscarriage Before Pregnancy Claims Went Viral – Reports
- Big Brother Season 16 Spoilers: Cody and Caleb Rivalry Deepens
- Criminal Minds Season 10 Teases Jennifer Love Hewitt’s Role and a New Footage from Shemar Moore
- Vampire Diaries Season 6 Spoilers: Bonnie's Death Makes Jeremy Go Back to His Season 1 Dark Side, Matt to Have Internal Conflict
- Xbox One to Get a Design Change; Doubled Sales Still Not Beating the PS4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales