India Issues Visas With Arunachal, Aksai Chin Maps To Protest China’s Claim
By ambrosia sabrina | November 23, 2012 8:53 PM EST
The latest move followed by the Indian embassy in Beijing was in retaliation to China's own claims over Arunachal Pradesh and Aksai Chin. The two regions were shown as part of Chinese territory in the new e-passports that the government issued in May. The revised passports include electronic chips containing critical data and use standardized biometrics, which make them difficult to forge.
The two neighbouring countries were long involved in territorial disputes over Arunachal Pradesh and Aksai Chin, both of which lie along the border areas.
China is fighting for Arunachal Pradesh, which it refers to as "South Tibet." The country even permitted residents in the state to travel across without documents, saying that the people already live in its territory, The New Indian Express reported.
Apart from India, the Philippines and Vietnam are also sparring with China over claims on South China Sea. The e-passports have South China Sea as well as Taiwan printed in the outline map of China.
Though Chinese maps have always shown South China Sea and Taiwan as part of its territory, the inclusion in the passports has apparently irked several nations for being subtly pushed into supporting these claims.
Both the Philippines and Vietnam governments have condemned the act and have raised the issue with the Chinese embassies in their respective countries.
Seeking to appease the two governments over China's passport content, China's foreign ministry said, "The passports' maps, with their outlines of China, are not targeting a specific country. China is willing to actively communicate with the relevant countries and promote the healthy development of Sino-foreign personnel exchanges," The New Indian Express reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports