Stock index futures signal flat to higher open
November 23, 2012 8:42 PM EST
Stock index futures pointed to a flat to higher open on Friday, with futures for the S&P 500 staying flat, the Dow Jones futures up 0.3 percent and the Nasdaq 100 futures rising 0.3 percent.
The market opens for a half-day business on Friday after the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday.
Shoppers took advantage of retailers offering a Thursday night start to the traditional post-Thanksgiving holiday shopping season, lining up at stores to get deals on electronics and other items or to just see what the fuss was about.
Shares of Research In Motion Ltd
The U.S. Federal Reserve's securities portfolio has not reached a level where it would impede the central bank from carrying on with its bond-buying programs, John Williams, the president of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank, told the Wall Street Journal in an interview.
Blackstone Group LP
The Indian joint venture of Wal-Mart Stores Inc
European shares <.FTEU3> were 0.2 percent lower on Friday after opening higher, with investors booking profits after four straight days of gains.
Prospects of a deal on the European Union's long-term budget dimmed on Friday after a fresh compromise proposal offered concessions to France and Poland but ignored British and German demands for deeper overall spending cuts.
International lenders have agreed new steps to cut Greece's debt pile further but it still has to fill a 10 billion euro ($13 billion) gap to gain the IMF's approval for its next tranche of aid, a senior Greek government official said on Friday.
Stocks finished modestly higher on Wednesday, with the S&P 500 up for a fourth session, although volume was one of the year's lowest on the day ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.
On Wednesday, the Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 48.38 points, or 0.38 percent, to end at 12,836.89. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> added 3.22 points, or 0.23 percent, to finish at 1,391.03. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> rose 9.87 points, or 0.34 percent, to close at 2,926.55.
(Reporting by Atul Prakash)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS