HTC Desire HD Gets AOSP-Based Android 4.2 Trainwreck Custom ROM [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | November 23, 2012 8:37 PM EST
HTC's Desire HD is one of the manufacturer's more popular models. Nevertheless, the Taiwanese company has confirmed it will stop Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) updates for the device, thereby effectively ending official support.
However, Desire HD users can turn their attention to the early release of the Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) ROM, courtesy custom developers. Users should note the AOSP Trainwreck ROM is a preview release and might have untested bugs or broken features. They are advised to keep a spare (and stable) ROM in hand, in case of issues with this one.
The AOSP Trainwreck ROM is a beta version and compatible only with the HTC Desire HD. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
The AOSP Trainwreck ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if users damage the device and they are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Features Confirmed as Working
- Wi-Fi & tethering
- Mobile data
- User Interface (UI)
- SD card
Broken Features or Untested Bugs
- The browser displays garbage info, based on Web site being viewed
- USB mass storage does not work - enabling the feature will cause SD card to be dismounted till next reboot
- Audio does not work
- Bluetooth does not work
- Browser is buggy (to fix screen corruption enter "about:debug" in URL bar, tap Menu Debug and uncheck this option - Enable Opengl
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are installed (download from here)
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging
- Ensure battery has at least 85 percent charge, to avoid unexpected device shutdown due to battery drain, while flashing AOSP Trainwreck custom ROM
- Users are advised to back-up apps, personal data and settings (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other Internet settings) to prevent risk of data loss while installing Jelly Bean update)
- Ensure phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockWorkMod Recovery (CWM) installed
To Install AOSP-Based Android 4.2 Trainwreck Jelly Bean ROM on HTC Desire HD
- Download Android 4.2 Trainwreck (Jelly Bean) ROM and Google apps package to computer
- Connect HTC Desire HD to computer with original USB cable
- Copy downloaded files to root folder on device's SD card
- Switch off phone and boot into Bootloader Mode (to do so, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons until phone reboots into Bootloader)
- Follow onscreen instructions, choose Bootloader option and enter CWM Recovery
- In CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe. Then, navigate to Flash Zip from SD Card and select it by tapping Power button
- Tap Power button again and select Choose Zip from SD Card
- Use Volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2 ROM file and select by tapping Power key. Confirm ROM installation on next screen and installation process should begin
- After installation, tap Go back and select Reboot System now from Recovery menu. The phone's first reboot may take up to five minutes to complete.
The Android 4.2 Trainwreck (Jelly Bean) ROM is now successfully installed on the HTC Desire HD. Browse to Settings > About Phone to verify firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: