Arsenal Win Race to Sign Prolific Dutch Striker, Claims Former Holland Forward
By Adrian Back | November 23, 2012 8:31 PM EST
Former Holland international Erik Meijer has suggested that Arsenal will sign Schalke forward Klaas Jan Huntelaar in the January transfer window.
The 29-year-old is one of the most in-demand forwards in European football after scoring a staggering 48 goals in all competitions last season as Schalke qualified for the Champions League.
He has once again excelled this season and his performances in Europe have highlighted his sheer quality, leading to numerous reports that he will leave in January as he is currently in the last year of his contract with Schalke.
The Bundesliga outfit may be forced to cash in on the prolific striker if they cannot persuade him to extend his contract, and it now seems as though he could be plying his trade in the Premier League with Arsenal in the second half of the season.
His fellow Dutchman Meijer, whose agent also represents Huntelaar, has revealed that t the striker will leave the club in the New Year.
"According to the information I have, Huntelaar will be gone in the winter," said Meijer, as reported in the Metro. "Arsenal FC are the favourites to land him."
Arsenal have witnessed first-hand the clinical finishing of Huntelaar as the Dutch striker has scored in both Champions League games against the north London club.
There have long been suggestions that the striker would move to the Premier League as it is the last major league in Europe in which he has not played.
Huntelaar was particularly prolific during his time at Ajax, before short spells at Real Madrid and AC Milan where he was unable to force his way regularly into the starting sides.
However, since joining Schalke he has once again shown his best form and has started the season in impressive fashion, scoring eight goals in all competition, and hitting four goals in the Champions League.
He would certainly be a welcome addition to the Arsenal side, despite Olivier Giroud showing some good form of late, as manager Arsene Wenger will be keen to have as many options as possible in attack.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid