Apple Asked to Disclose HTC Settlement Details to Samsung
By Rohit KVN | November 23, 2012 7:05 PM EST
The order comes with the instruction "attorneys-eyes only." It specifies that the settlement documents can only be examined by Samsung's official attorneys. The document cannot be viewed by a third party nor made public.
Apple made a patent deal with HTC on November 10 that included dropping all current lawsuits and a 10-year license covering current and future patents held by both parties.
Samsung received two happy tidings this Thanksgiving: On November 19, the USITC (United States International Trade Commission) announced a review of the August judgment which ordered Samsung to pay $1.05 billion to Apple for patent infringement and design specifications. And now U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal has ordered Apple to disclose HTC patent settlement to Samsung.
According to Reuters, the Korean company has argued that it is "almost certain" that the HTC deal covers some of the same patents involved in its own litigation with Apple.
Samsung believes that a royalty was a more suitable alternative compared to a permanent injunction.
Muller has observed that any change in the ownership of these companies will automatically make this settlement void.
- The patent agreement is governed by the laws of U.S. and California.
- It is said that the lawsuit can be revoked if any new disputes do arise in the future.
- It has been noted that both companies have no intention of sharing all their patent rights because the leaked document is unclear whether the settlement extends to all patents of both the companies.
Samsung's main concern would be to ascertain the monetary compensation that Apple would gain from HTC for its December 6 hearing, where Apple is requesting a ban on some Samsung products in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build