UBS Faces £45m Fine in Rogue Trading Case
By Jerin Mathew | November 23, 2012 5:48 PM EST
UBS AG is likely to be fined £45m by Britain's financial regulator for failing to stop unauthorised trading by banker Kweku Adoboli, which resulted in the loss of billions of pounds to the bank, Bloomberg News has reported.
The fine would be the second largest levied in the UK after the Financial Services Authority's £59.5m fine on Barclays in June for the bank's attempt to manipulate the London interbank offered rate (Libor).
The FSA and UBS bank were finalising a settlement penalty, expected to be in the range of £20m to £50m, the Financial Times reported earlier.
The fine is related to rogue trader Adoboli, who was sentenced to seven years after making a £1.4bn loss from unauthorised trading. The loss made by the "master fraudster", a former trader in UBS's London office, was the largest in British history. He was found crossing trading limits and booking false hedges to cover the risk to the bank.
Adoboli took advantage of poorly managed back-office procedures, which did not check trades regularly. The bank has been criticised for its failure to detect the fraud for about three years.
The FSA and the Swiss regulator, Finma, announced a joint probe into UBS in September 2011, following Adoboli's confessions. After assessing the bank's role in the loss, the regulators are expected to give a joint announcement next week. Finma is not authorised to fine the bank.
In 2009, UBS was fined by FSA for allowing its wealth management employees to conduct undue customer account transactions. The bank is also facing a probe into its role in the Libor scandal and is expected to face a larger fine.
Due to weak economic conditions, UBS cut down its investment banking operations in October, shedding 10,000 jobs over the next two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine