UBS Faces £45m Fine in Rogue Trading Case
By Jerin Mathew | November 23, 2012 5:48 PM EST
UBS AG is likely to be fined £45m by Britain's financial regulator for failing to stop unauthorised trading by banker Kweku Adoboli, which resulted in the loss of billions of pounds to the bank, Bloomberg News has reported.
The fine would be the second largest levied in the UK after the Financial Services Authority's £59.5m fine on Barclays in June for the bank's attempt to manipulate the London interbank offered rate (Libor).
The FSA and UBS bank were finalising a settlement penalty, expected to be in the range of £20m to £50m, the Financial Times reported earlier.
The fine is related to rogue trader Adoboli, who was sentenced to seven years after making a £1.4bn loss from unauthorised trading. The loss made by the "master fraudster", a former trader in UBS's London office, was the largest in British history. He was found crossing trading limits and booking false hedges to cover the risk to the bank.
Adoboli took advantage of poorly managed back-office procedures, which did not check trades regularly. The bank has been criticised for its failure to detect the fraud for about three years.
The FSA and the Swiss regulator, Finma, announced a joint probe into UBS in September 2011, following Adoboli's confessions. After assessing the bank's role in the loss, the regulators are expected to give a joint announcement next week. Finma is not authorised to fine the bank.
In 2009, UBS was fined by FSA for allowing its wealth management employees to conduct undue customer account transactions. The bank is also facing a probe into its role in the Libor scandal and is expected to face a larger fine.
Due to weak economic conditions, UBS cut down its investment banking operations in October, shedding 10,000 jobs over the next two years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop