Mars Rover Curiosity Update: December confirmation anticipated, ‘one for the history books’
By Arlene Paredes | November 23, 2012 4:55 PM EST
NASA scientists may have made an important discovery with Mars rover Curiosity, and it's "one for the history books." Keep the drum rolls coming, those in the know just won't spill until December.
Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM), the rovers lab, has reportedly found on Mars an exciting sample. However, confirmatory tests have to be done on SAM's sample findings. It would take a couple of weeks. For now, the science community is busy on imagining what this Martian sample could reveal to Earthlings.
Joe Palca of NPR reported the Mars exploration update just this Tuesday.
"We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, told Palca.
"The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," Grotzinger added.
Grotzinger seems certain that once confirmations have been made, the news about the sample could create a great impact on science education.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he said.
Mars Curiosity Rover: Found significant clues within 4 months' time?
The $2.5 billion worth 1-ton Mars Curiosity rover landed in Mars' Gale Crater on Aug. 5. Its mission will last for two years, but it seems the past three and a half months have already yielded startling possibilities.
SAM studies the Martian environment, particularly the red planet's soil, to check for organic compounds or clues of life.
Grotzinger may be struggling to keep the initial findings confidential, but many are already speculating that SAM may have found some organics on the Martian soil. Organic compounds are known as life-sparkers or the building blocks of life.
If SAM has indeed found organic compounds on Mars, could it be remnants of a distant past, or clues to the planet's future?
Everyone awaits the big reveal in December.
Mars Curiosity Rover Findings Video Clip: What announcement will be made in December?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More