Cyber Monday Offers Bigger Discounts on Items
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 23, 2012 4:55 PM EST
Get ready Australian shoppers because another mega sale is fast approaching. Cyber Monday follows the iconic Black Friday shopping event that already started in the United States. Yearly, retailers conduct massive sales the day after Thanksgiving in order to begin the Christmas holiday shopping season.
During this week's 24-hour Click Frenzy sale, thousands of Australian consumers purchased discounted products despite encountering web site technical problems. Now, online shoppers can get hold of bigger price discounts on the upcoming Cyber Monday sale. Experts also claimed that online item transactions have lower prices overseas.
Click Frenzy web site already had greater than 20 million page views. Though there were good quality deals found, online prices do not weaken the overseas retailers. Mozo, the financial comparison web site, evaluated the lowest prices on well-liked Christmas presents in Australian bricks and mortar, Australian online and international retailers. Some of the items up for grabs have a price 46% lower at international online stores including the shipping expenses.
For example, the "Nigella Bites" recipe book costs $55.95 in Dymocks, $38.80 at doubleday.com.au and $33 from Amazon USA. The 100ml perfume Marc Jacobs Daisy costs $120 at Myer, $116 at fragrancesandcosmetics.com.au and only $65 at Hong Kong-based online retailer cosmeparadise.com. The computations for the international prices were made using the average currency conversion fee of 2.5% of the purchase price including the exchange rate from Mastercard.
Kirsty Lamont, Mozo director, stated that local retailers basically cannot contend with the bigger bargains offered. "The bricks and clicks gap is getting closer for local retailers but when it comes to online, by far the best bargains are still found overseas," Lamont said.
Ingrid Just, spokeswoman for the consumer group Choice, also declared that the excitement around Click Frenzy has already increased awareness of the US sale among online shoppers. "I don't think your regular person in the street would necessarily be aware of Cyber Monday. I'm sure the coverage would have flagged it to people who are shoppers, particularly those who are happy to shop online," Just shared.
Just further suggested that shoppers should do their homework first before purchasing discounted items. "Look at the terms and conditions around these forwarding services, and especially at this time of year, and check the length of time it will take getting from a to b."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter