Asian Markets Rise on Global Economic Hopes
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 23, 2012 3:41 PM EST
Hong Kong's Hang Seng index traded 0.24 percent or 52.12 points higher to 21,795.32 at 02:59 GMT while China's Shanghai Composite index gained 0.49 percent or 9.80 points to 2,025.41. South Korea's KOSPI was up 0.29 percent or 5.52 points to 1,905.02.
Japanese markets remained closed for a holiday.
A flash Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) released by HSBC had earlier shown that China's manufacturing entered expansionary territory for the first time in 13 months, in November. The data, combined with a host of other positive indicators, including exports and industrial output, has increased speculation that the Communist nation is well on its way to achieving growth targets by the final quarter of the fiscal year.
Earlier, a preliminary PMI reading from the US showed manufacturing in the world's largest economy expanded at the fastest rate in five months in November. Manufacturing and service sector PMIs from major European nations Germany and France also revealed that conditions have not deteriorated.
Investors are keeping a close watch on Europe as EU leaders continue their negotiations on the region's next seven-year budget. The eurozone finance ministers are also expected to meet on 26 November, to take a final call on Greece's much needed bailout funds.
The real-estate sector traded higher in Hong Kong. China Resources Land gained 3.48 percent while New World Development Company was up 2.12 percent. Shares of Wharf Holdings were up 1.08 percent.
Chemical firm Shandong Dacheng Pesticide Company and agricultural products company Gansu Mogao Industrial Development Company were major gainers in Shanghai, up 10.03 and 10.00 percent.
Shipping-related investment firms gained in Seoul. Shares of Korea Pacific No 06 Ship Investment Company gained 14.97 percent while those of Korea Pacific No 07 Ship Investment Company traded 14.86 percent higher.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- A Month After Ukraine Plane Crash, Malaysia Airlines Doubles Commission of Australian Travel Agents to 11% to Boost Seat Sales
- Australia Could Become an Oil Giant After Apache Discovery of Field With Potential of 300 Million Barrels of Black Gold
- European Telcos in Buy-out Mode for American Firms
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 19, 2014
- Melbourne Is World’s Most Liveable City for 4th Consecutive Year
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members