Asian Markets Rise on Global Economic Hopes
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 23, 2012 3:41 PM EST
Hong Kong's Hang Seng index traded 0.24 percent or 52.12 points higher to 21,795.32 at 02:59 GMT while China's Shanghai Composite index gained 0.49 percent or 9.80 points to 2,025.41. South Korea's KOSPI was up 0.29 percent or 5.52 points to 1,905.02.
Japanese markets remained closed for a holiday.
A flash Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) released by HSBC had earlier shown that China's manufacturing entered expansionary territory for the first time in 13 months, in November. The data, combined with a host of other positive indicators, including exports and industrial output, has increased speculation that the Communist nation is well on its way to achieving growth targets by the final quarter of the fiscal year.
Earlier, a preliminary PMI reading from the US showed manufacturing in the world's largest economy expanded at the fastest rate in five months in November. Manufacturing and service sector PMIs from major European nations Germany and France also revealed that conditions have not deteriorated.
Investors are keeping a close watch on Europe as EU leaders continue their negotiations on the region's next seven-year budget. The eurozone finance ministers are also expected to meet on 26 November, to take a final call on Greece's much needed bailout funds.
The real-estate sector traded higher in Hong Kong. China Resources Land gained 3.48 percent while New World Development Company was up 2.12 percent. Shares of Wharf Holdings were up 1.08 percent.
Chemical firm Shandong Dacheng Pesticide Company and agricultural products company Gansu Mogao Industrial Development Company were major gainers in Shanghai, up 10.03 and 10.00 percent.
Shipping-related investment firms gained in Seoul. Shares of Korea Pacific No 06 Ship Investment Company gained 14.97 percent while those of Korea Pacific No 07 Ship Investment Company traded 14.86 percent higher.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air