NASA Discovers Farthest Galaxy with Gravitational Lensing Technique
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 23, 2012 10:46 AM EST
NASA scientists declared on Monday about their discovery of a galaxy identified as MACS0647-JD. The use of Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes and gravitational lensing technique helped the scientists in locating the most distant galaxy to date.
NASA and the European Space Agency announced in a released statement: "We see the newly discovered galaxy, named MACS0647-JD, as it was 420 million years after the Big Bang that created the Universe 13.7 billion years ago. Its light has travelled 13.3 billion years to reach Earth. The star cluster was observed in its infancy as it looked when the Universe was just three percent of its present age."
Astronomers under the combined American-European CLASH project made use of the orbiting space telescopes and also utilized massive galaxy clusters as cosmic magnifiers to discover the distant galaxies. The gravitational lensing procedure allowed the astronomers to observe the distant galaxies as they zoom, enlarge and brighten up the distant space objects.
The recently discovered galaxy is so small with less than 600 light years across and scientists believe it may still be in the first stages of galaxy formation. "The estimated mass of this baby galaxy is roughly equal to 100 million or a billion suns or 0.1 to 1.0 percent of our Milky Way's stars," NASA's released statement further declared.
Rychard Bouwens of the Netherlands' Leiden University and co-author of the study scheduled to be published in the Astrophysical Journal in December stated: "This latest discovery has outstripped even my expectations of what would be possible with the CLASH program."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage