NASA Discovers Farthest Galaxy with Gravitational Lensing Technique
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 23, 2012 10:46 AM EST
NASA scientists declared on Monday about their discovery of a galaxy identified as MACS0647-JD. The use of Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes and gravitational lensing technique helped the scientists in locating the most distant galaxy to date.
NASA and the European Space Agency announced in a released statement: "We see the newly discovered galaxy, named MACS0647-JD, as it was 420 million years after the Big Bang that created the Universe 13.7 billion years ago. Its light has travelled 13.3 billion years to reach Earth. The star cluster was observed in its infancy as it looked when the Universe was just three percent of its present age."
Astronomers under the combined American-European CLASH project made use of the orbiting space telescopes and also utilized massive galaxy clusters as cosmic magnifiers to discover the distant galaxies. The gravitational lensing procedure allowed the astronomers to observe the distant galaxies as they zoom, enlarge and brighten up the distant space objects.
The recently discovered galaxy is so small with less than 600 light years across and scientists believe it may still be in the first stages of galaxy formation. "The estimated mass of this baby galaxy is roughly equal to 100 million or a billion suns or 0.1 to 1.0 percent of our Milky Way's stars," NASA's released statement further declared.
Rychard Bouwens of the Netherlands' Leiden University and co-author of the study scheduled to be published in the Astrophysical Journal in December stated: "This latest discovery has outstripped even my expectations of what would be possible with the CLASH program."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1