NASA Discovers Farthest Galaxy with Gravitational Lensing Technique
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 23, 2012 10:46 AM EST
NASA scientists declared on Monday about their discovery of a galaxy identified as MACS0647-JD. The use of Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes and gravitational lensing technique helped the scientists in locating the most distant galaxy to date.
NASA and the European Space Agency announced in a released statement: "We see the newly discovered galaxy, named MACS0647-JD, as it was 420 million years after the Big Bang that created the Universe 13.7 billion years ago. Its light has travelled 13.3 billion years to reach Earth. The star cluster was observed in its infancy as it looked when the Universe was just three percent of its present age."
Astronomers under the combined American-European CLASH project made use of the orbiting space telescopes and also utilized massive galaxy clusters as cosmic magnifiers to discover the distant galaxies. The gravitational lensing procedure allowed the astronomers to observe the distant galaxies as they zoom, enlarge and brighten up the distant space objects.
The recently discovered galaxy is so small with less than 600 light years across and scientists believe it may still be in the first stages of galaxy formation. "The estimated mass of this baby galaxy is roughly equal to 100 million or a billion suns or 0.1 to 1.0 percent of our Milky Way's stars," NASA's released statement further declared.
Rychard Bouwens of the Netherlands' Leiden University and co-author of the study scheduled to be published in the Astrophysical Journal in December stated: "This latest discovery has outstripped even my expectations of what would be possible with the CLASH program."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation