Obama's 10-Year-Old Pen Pal Receives Response To Gay Marriage Letter
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 23, 2012 7:59 AM EST
A 10-year-old Californian has found a pen pal in President Barack Obama.
Sophia Bailey-Klugh has been sending letters to the president routinely. Her first such letter invited Obama to dinner, but she received no reply.
But when the young San Diegan sent him a letter thanking him for his stance on gay marriage, she received a speedy reply from Obama himself, CNN reported.
A daughter of two gay fathers, Sophia’s story first became news when one of her dads, Jonathan Bailey, posted her letter on Facebook on Oct. 28, with the note that her letter was “unprompted” and made her father and his partner "so unbelievably proud."
"Dear Barack Obama," she wrote. "It's Sophia Bailey Klugh, your friend who invited you to dinner. If you don't remember, okay, that's fine. But I just wanted to tell you that I am so glad you agree that two men can love each other because I have two dads and they love each other."
Sophia then talked about how students at her school call her fathers’ relationship "gross and weird," and she asked the president for his advice.
"It really hurts my heart and feelings, so I come to you because you are my hero," she wrote.
She concluded by wishing him luck on the election and asking him to say hi to his daughters Sasha and Malia.
The letter also included a hand-drawn picture of Sophia’s two dads kissing, with the caption “love.”
Sophia soon received a letter on official presidential letterhead, postmarked Nov. 1.
"Thank you for writing me such a thoughtful letter about your family. Reading it made me proud to be your president and even more hopeful about the future of our nation," Obama wrote in his reply.
"In America, no two families look the same," he continued. "We celebrate this diversity. And we recognize that whether you have two dads or one mom what matters above all is the love we show one another. You are very fortunate to have two parents who care deeply for you. They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you."
In response to her request for advice, Obama wrote, "A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you."
"Thanks again for taking the time to write me," he continued. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to dinner, but I'll be sure to tell Sasha and Malia you say hello," he concluded.
Following a vote in North Carolina that approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in May, the president publicly stated in a televised interview that he had "evolved" in his position on the issue and felt that same sex couples should be able to marry legally, according to CNN.
Jonathan Bailey also posted the president's response on Facebook.
"Thank you Barack Obama -- you have made one 10-year-old feel mighty special (and her two dads, too)," he wrote in the caption for the image.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers