At Least 1 Dead, 100 Vehicles Involved In Texas Pileup, Shutting Down Interstate 10
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 23, 2012 6:15 AM EST
The Texas Dept. of Public Safety has shut down Interstate 10 in Southeast Texas after a 100-plus-vehicle pileup left at least 35 people injured and one dead, according to ABC News.
KFDM-TV reports that dozens of vehicles collided while driving in a thick fog around 8 a.m. on Thanksgiving near Beaumont, about 80 miles east of Houston, on Interstate 10 near the 833 mile marker close to Hamshire Road.
Acadian Ambulance spokeswoman Denise Richter told a local news outlet that their crews have transported at least 35 patients to area hospitals.
Early estimates from the scene of the crash indicate there were at least 100 vehicles were involved in multiple collisions on both sides of Interstate 10 with a number of injuries, including some people critically hurt, with one fatality reported so far, according to the DPS.
Chief Charles Sonnier of the Labelle-Fannett Volunteer Fire Department told KFDM News the vehicles involved in the accidents include seven tractor trailers that collided on the eastbound side. Two were carrying hazardous materials, but they aren't leaking, according to Sonnier.
Sonnier added that firefighters had to use the jaws of life to cut people out of a car and pickup truck.
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Deputy Rod Carroll told the Associated Press that the fog in the area on I-10 where the pileup took place is extremely dense.
Baptist Beaumont Hospital spokeswoman Mary Poole told KFDM News they're receiving at least a dozen patients.
While I-10 has been shut down in both directions, Highway 124, Highway 73 and Highway 90 are available as alternate routes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015