At Least 1 Dead, 100 Vehicles Involved In Texas Pileup, Shutting Down Interstate 10
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 23, 2012 6:15 AM EST
The Texas Dept. of Public Safety has shut down Interstate 10 in Southeast Texas after a 100-plus-vehicle pileup left at least 35 people injured and one dead, according to ABC News.
KFDM-TV reports that dozens of vehicles collided while driving in a thick fog around 8 a.m. on Thanksgiving near Beaumont, about 80 miles east of Houston, on Interstate 10 near the 833 mile marker close to Hamshire Road.
Acadian Ambulance spokeswoman Denise Richter told a local news outlet that their crews have transported at least 35 patients to area hospitals.
Early estimates from the scene of the crash indicate there were at least 100 vehicles were involved in multiple collisions on both sides of Interstate 10 with a number of injuries, including some people critically hurt, with one fatality reported so far, according to the DPS.
Chief Charles Sonnier of the Labelle-Fannett Volunteer Fire Department told KFDM News the vehicles involved in the accidents include seven tractor trailers that collided on the eastbound side. Two were carrying hazardous materials, but they aren't leaking, according to Sonnier.
Sonnier added that firefighters had to use the jaws of life to cut people out of a car and pickup truck.
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Deputy Rod Carroll told the Associated Press that the fog in the area on I-10 where the pileup took place is extremely dense.
Baptist Beaumont Hospital spokeswoman Mary Poole told KFDM News they're receiving at least a dozen patients.
While I-10 has been shut down in both directions, Highway 124, Highway 73 and Highway 90 are available as alternate routes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia