Shakira Faces £63m Lawsuit by Ex-Boyfriend Antonio de la Rua
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 4:22 AM EST
Shakira is reportedly being sued for £63m by her former boyfriend and business partner Antonio de la Rua.
The Colombian singer's ex-beau claimed that after their 10-year romance ended in 2010 she stopped paying him a share of her earnings, the Sun reports.
In lawsuit documents filed at a Manhattan supreme court in New York, de la Rua claimed that the Hips Don't Lie star asked him to take over "the business behind the Shakira brand" when they started dating in 2000.
He insisted that he played a key role in transforming her career and was responsible for securing the Latino beauty's £188m deal with tour promoter Live Nation.
De la Rua - the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua - alleged that although they agreed to remain friends and business partners after their split, their business relationship lasted only a year more and he was fired in 2011.
He maintained that Shakira had refused to share any profits or pay what he is owed since the split.
Shakira is dating Spanish football ace Gerard Pique and the couple are expecting their first child.
Last month the mum-to-be took the stage for a performance at Baku's Crystal Hall in Azerbaijan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date