Shakira Faces £63m Lawsuit by Ex-Boyfriend Antonio de la Rua
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 4:22 AM EST
Shakira is reportedly being sued for £63m by her former boyfriend and business partner Antonio de la Rua.
The Colombian singer's ex-beau claimed that after their 10-year romance ended in 2010 she stopped paying him a share of her earnings, the Sun reports.
In lawsuit documents filed at a Manhattan supreme court in New York, de la Rua claimed that the Hips Don't Lie star asked him to take over "the business behind the Shakira brand" when they started dating in 2000.
He insisted that he played a key role in transforming her career and was responsible for securing the Latino beauty's £188m deal with tour promoter Live Nation.
De la Rua - the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua - alleged that although they agreed to remain friends and business partners after their split, their business relationship lasted only a year more and he was fired in 2011.
He maintained that Shakira had refused to share any profits or pay what he is owed since the split.
Shakira is dating Spanish football ace Gerard Pique and the couple are expecting their first child.
Last month the mum-to-be took the stage for a performance at Baku's Crystal Hall in Azerbaijan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]