Shakira Faces £63m Lawsuit by Ex-Boyfriend Antonio de la Rua
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 4:22 AM EST
Shakira is reportedly being sued for £63m by her former boyfriend and business partner Antonio de la Rua.
The Colombian singer's ex-beau claimed that after their 10-year romance ended in 2010 she stopped paying him a share of her earnings, the Sun reports.
In lawsuit documents filed at a Manhattan supreme court in New York, de la Rua claimed that the Hips Don't Lie star asked him to take over "the business behind the Shakira brand" when they started dating in 2000.
He insisted that he played a key role in transforming her career and was responsible for securing the Latino beauty's £188m deal with tour promoter Live Nation.
De la Rua - the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua - alleged that although they agreed to remain friends and business partners after their split, their business relationship lasted only a year more and he was fired in 2011.
He maintained that Shakira had refused to share any profits or pay what he is owed since the split.
Shakira is dating Spanish football ace Gerard Pique and the couple are expecting their first child.
Last month the mum-to-be took the stage for a performance at Baku's Crystal Hall in Azerbaijan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How