Shakira Faces £63m Lawsuit by Ex-Boyfriend Antonio de la Rua
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 4:22 AM EST
Shakira is reportedly being sued for £63m by her former boyfriend and business partner Antonio de la Rua.
The Colombian singer's ex-beau claimed that after their 10-year romance ended in 2010 she stopped paying him a share of her earnings, the Sun reports.
In lawsuit documents filed at a Manhattan supreme court in New York, de la Rua claimed that the Hips Don't Lie star asked him to take over "the business behind the Shakira brand" when they started dating in 2000.
He insisted that he played a key role in transforming her career and was responsible for securing the Latino beauty's £188m deal with tour promoter Live Nation.
De la Rua - the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua - alleged that although they agreed to remain friends and business partners after their split, their business relationship lasted only a year more and he was fired in 2011.
He maintained that Shakira had refused to share any profits or pay what he is owed since the split.
Shakira is dating Spanish football ace Gerard Pique and the couple are expecting their first child.
Last month the mum-to-be took the stage for a performance at Baku's Crystal Hall in Azerbaijan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install