Shakira Faces £63m Lawsuit by Ex-Boyfriend Antonio de la Rua
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 4:22 AM EST
Shakira is reportedly being sued for £63m by her former boyfriend and business partner Antonio de la Rua.
The Colombian singer's ex-beau claimed that after their 10-year romance ended in 2010 she stopped paying him a share of her earnings, the Sun reports.
In lawsuit documents filed at a Manhattan supreme court in New York, de la Rua claimed that the Hips Don't Lie star asked him to take over "the business behind the Shakira brand" when they started dating in 2000.
He insisted that he played a key role in transforming her career and was responsible for securing the Latino beauty's £188m deal with tour promoter Live Nation.
De la Rua - the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua - alleged that although they agreed to remain friends and business partners after their split, their business relationship lasted only a year more and he was fired in 2011.
He maintained that Shakira had refused to share any profits or pay what he is owed since the split.
Shakira is dating Spanish football ace Gerard Pique and the couple are expecting their first child.
Last month the mum-to-be took the stage for a performance at Baku's Crystal Hall in Azerbaijan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members