Italy will refuse "unacceptable solutions" to EU budget - Monti
November 23, 2012 3:14 AM EST
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti said on Thursday that Italy has been disproportionately penalised by the European Union budget up to now and it would refuse any "unacceptable solutions" that emerge from talks.
European Union leaders are facing a long and bitter tussle to agree future spending plans worth 1 trillion euros ($1.28 trillion) at the summit in Brussels.
"It is absolutely essential that Italy obtains better results than those presented in initial drafts, on the cohesion funds, agricultural funds, and on mechanisms," Monti told reporters as he arrived for the summit in Brussels.
"We will not accept solutions that we consider unacceptable," he said, adding that Italy would still be willing to work in a constructive way with EU partners if a deal was not reached at this summit.
Italy's Minister for European Affairs Enzo Moavero said on Wednesday he saw a significant chance that leaders would reach an agreement during the meeting but he has also said Italy would be ready to block an agreement if no suitable deal were reached.
(Reporting By Francesco Guarascio, writing by Catherine Hornby)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet