Italy will refuse "unacceptable solutions" to EU budget - Monti
November 23, 2012 3:14 AM EST
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti said on Thursday that Italy has been disproportionately penalised by the European Union budget up to now and it would refuse any "unacceptable solutions" that emerge from talks.
European Union leaders are facing a long and bitter tussle to agree future spending plans worth 1 trillion euros ($1.28 trillion) at the summit in Brussels.
"It is absolutely essential that Italy obtains better results than those presented in initial drafts, on the cohesion funds, agricultural funds, and on mechanisms," Monti told reporters as he arrived for the summit in Brussels.
"We will not accept solutions that we consider unacceptable," he said, adding that Italy would still be willing to work in a constructive way with EU partners if a deal was not reached at this summit.
Italy's Minister for European Affairs Enzo Moavero said on Wednesday he saw a significant chance that leaders would reach an agreement during the meeting but he has also said Italy would be ready to block an agreement if no suitable deal were reached.
(Reporting By Francesco Guarascio, writing by Catherine Hornby)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast