Tottenham Fans Stabbed: Anti-Semitism 'behind Attack' [VIDEO]
By Umberto Bacchi | November 23, 2012 2:34 AM EST
Anti-Semitism is believed to be behind the attack on a group of Tottenham Hotspur fans by Italian hooligans in Rome, which left one supporter in a critical condition.
Eyewitnesses told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta Dello Sport that the group of about 40 assailants, who stabbed two Tottenham supporters and injured a further eight, were yelling "Jews, Jews!" as they assaulted the Drunken Ship pub in central Rome.
Spurs have a large Jewish fanbase, and the term 'Yids' is regularly as a term of abuse by rival supporters.
Pub owner Marco Manzi told the Gazzetta that the hooligans "were all dressed the same with a helmet covering the head and no other distinguishing sign.
"It was planned. They were very well organised: they blocked the back door and also had 'stinging gas'. They cut the Spurs fans off [from other guests] by throwing stones, wrenches, tables and railings, then they assaulted them."
Italian police, who reportedly took more than 20 minutes to arrive on the scene, have so far arrested six people. The oldest is 55 years old, the youngest 20.
Another 15 people linked both to football and anti-Semitic violence are reportedly under investigation.
The incident happened ahead of Tottenham's Europa League match against Lazio, a club renowned for a hardcore following which has a history of far-right and racist behaviour.
However Lazio president Caludio Lotito has denied the attack was perpetrated by his team's supporters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions