Tottenham Fans Stabbed: Anti-Semitism 'behind Attack' [VIDEO]
By Umberto Bacchi | November 23, 2012 2:34 AM EST
Anti-Semitism is believed to be behind the attack on a group of Tottenham Hotspur fans by Italian hooligans in Rome, which left one supporter in a critical condition.
Eyewitnesses told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta Dello Sport that the group of about 40 assailants, who stabbed two Tottenham supporters and injured a further eight, were yelling "Jews, Jews!" as they assaulted the Drunken Ship pub in central Rome.
Spurs have a large Jewish fanbase, and the term 'Yids' is regularly as a term of abuse by rival supporters.
Pub owner Marco Manzi told the Gazzetta that the hooligans "were all dressed the same with a helmet covering the head and no other distinguishing sign.
"It was planned. They were very well organised: they blocked the back door and also had 'stinging gas'. They cut the Spurs fans off [from other guests] by throwing stones, wrenches, tables and railings, then they assaulted them."
Italian police, who reportedly took more than 20 minutes to arrive on the scene, have so far arrested six people. The oldest is 55 years old, the youngest 20.
Another 15 people linked both to football and anti-Semitic violence are reportedly under investigation.
The incident happened ahead of Tottenham's Europa League match against Lazio, a club renowned for a hardcore following which has a history of far-right and racist behaviour.
However Lazio president Caludio Lotito has denied the attack was perpetrated by his team's supporters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0