Real Madrid Reject Everton’s €6m Bid for Talented Winger – Report
By Adrian Back | November 23, 2012 1:47 AM EST
Everton manager David Moyes has failed in his attempt to lure Real Madrid winger Denis Cheryshev away from the Spanish club after Jose Mourinho rejected the offer.
The 21-year-old is a regular in the Real Madrid B side and has recently forced his way into the first team plans of former Chelsea boss Mourinho, who has begun to hand chances to some of the youth team graduates.
Cheryshev left Russia as a teenager to join the academy at Madrid and has finally managed to make an impression on Mourinho and current international boss Fabio Capello, who handed him his debut in the 2-2 draw with the United States.
The winger is yet to make an appearance in the first team but it seems Mourinho has high hopes as he has decided to keep him at the B team rather than let him join Everton.
Spanish publication Marca has reported that Everton approached officials from the reigning La Liga champions and made an offer of €6million earlier this month.
Everton had hoped that they would be able to sign Cheryshev in the January transfer window, but they have been told in no uncertain terms that he is not for sale.
Cheryshev is viewed as one of the best talents in the Madrid B Team, and despite Mourinho questioning the quality of players his academy is producing, it seems as though he is determined to keep the talented Russian.
Everton had previously managed to complete a loan deal for Royston Drenthe while the Dutch midfielder was at Real Madrid and it seems that the Merseysiders had hoped to once again do business with the Spanish giants.
Moyes had led his Everton side to an impressive start to the season as they defeated Manchester United in the opening game, but they have since faltered and have won just one of their last six Premier League games.
With a relatively small squad it seems Moyes was keen to add some depth in the New Year as he looks to secure a top six finish.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown