Former Spurs Boss a Better Choice for Chelsea Than Benitez
By Nick Howson | November 23, 2012 12:51 AM EST
Former Chelsea midfielder Alan Hudson says the club should have appointed Harry Redknapp as manager ahead of Rafa Benitez.
Redknapp was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur in the summer and is currently without a job despite being interested in the vacant position with the Ukraine National team.
And after Chelsea confirmed that Benitez will take over as interim first-team manager for the rest of the season, Hudson, who played 145 times for the club, says Redknapp would have been the shrewder choice.
"I wouldn't say Harry Redknapp is the best manager in the world but he's available after being sacked by Spurs and I think he would have been a much better choice than Benitez," Hudson said.
"It's not as if they need a great manager to come in and turn things around massively. Chelsea have already got the players, no question about that.
"They don't need anything radical. Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar are all fantastic in midfield so there's just one or two aspects of the team that need sorting out, the defence perhaps and maybe in attack."
"I've rarely been surprised by anything owner Roman Abramovich has done in the past but this time I'm totally stunned," he added. "I can't see what he is trying to do."
The appointment of Benitez has been met with disappointment and criticism by Chelsea fans.
Benitez has won the La Liga title, the Champions League, the UEFA Cup, the FA Cup and the World Club Cup during his managerial career.
However, the manor of his departure from Liverpool, and his short-lived six-month spell at Inter Milan, has led to scepticism from many of the Stamford Bridge faithful.
Chelsea supporters group chairman Trizia Fiorellino said: "Benitez will just not be accepted by Chelsea supporters. I don't think Benitez is a good manager, he's been out of work for two years now - if he was any good why hasn't any other club snapped him up?
"Benitez has a propensity for zonal marking, which doesn't work in the Premier League. He is the wrong choice for Chelsea and the fans do not want him."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report