Michelle Heaton Recovers in Hospital after Double Mastectomy
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 12:14 AM EST
Michelle Heaton is recovering after undergoing a double mastectomy.
The former Liberty X singer thanked fans for their support after coming round from the preventative surgery.
She informed her fans on Twitter that although she was "very sore and disorientated" the operation had gone well.
"Thank u for all your lovely tweets. It went well, but I'm obviously very sore & disorientated still. I have the best doctors & husband Eva!x," she told her 128,000 followers .
Heaton also used the microblogging site to thank Lorraine Kelly and This Morning for flowers, and her colleagues at Closer magazine for sending her cupcakes.
The 33-year-old mother-of-one revealed in October that doctors had diagnosed her with the genetic mutation BRCA2 gene which increased her chances of developing breast cancer.
The reality star had all her breast tissue removed in a 13-hour long operation.
She told the Lorraine show: "Having such a high risk of breast cancer... It's not 80 percent [risk factor] but every day that goes past I'm constantly feeling my breasts.
"I'm looking for things that aren't even there. I'm worried, I'm looking for side effects and I just think that preventative surgery is the best option for me.
"It's not for everybody but talking to other women and talking to people who have gone through it and talking to women who didn't have the preventative surgery but later contracted cancer, is enough for me to realise that this is the best option for me."
Earlier in 2012, former X Factor judge Sharon Osbourne had a double mastectomy she was diagnosed with the cancer gene.
The 60-year-old wife of rocker Ozzy said that although the decision was difficult, it was a "no-brainer" after she was told of the risk.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Your Hairdryer Could Make You Deaf, New Survey
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko