Michelle Heaton Recovers in Hospital after Double Mastectomy
By Toyin Owoseje | November 23, 2012 12:14 AM EST
Michelle Heaton is recovering after undergoing a double mastectomy.
The former Liberty X singer thanked fans for their support after coming round from the preventative surgery.
She informed her fans on Twitter that although she was "very sore and disorientated" the operation had gone well.
"Thank u for all your lovely tweets. It went well, but I'm obviously very sore & disorientated still. I have the best doctors & husband Eva!x," she told her 128,000 followers .
Heaton also used the microblogging site to thank Lorraine Kelly and This Morning for flowers, and her colleagues at Closer magazine for sending her cupcakes.
The 33-year-old mother-of-one revealed in October that doctors had diagnosed her with the genetic mutation BRCA2 gene which increased her chances of developing breast cancer.
The reality star had all her breast tissue removed in a 13-hour long operation.
She told the Lorraine show: "Having such a high risk of breast cancer... It's not 80 percent [risk factor] but every day that goes past I'm constantly feeling my breasts.
"I'm looking for things that aren't even there. I'm worried, I'm looking for side effects and I just think that preventative surgery is the best option for me.
"It's not for everybody but talking to other women and talking to people who have gone through it and talking to women who didn't have the preventative surgery but later contracted cancer, is enough for me to realise that this is the best option for me."
Earlier in 2012, former X Factor judge Sharon Osbourne had a double mastectomy she was diagnosed with the cancer gene.
The 60-year-old wife of rocker Ozzy said that although the decision was difficult, it was a "no-brainer" after she was told of the risk.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2