Henry Return to Arsenal on Brink of Collapse
By Nick Howson | November 23, 2012 12:05 AM EST
Thierry Henry's loan return to Arsenal is in major doubt after New York Red Bulls admitted they were reluctant to release the Frenchman in the offseason.
Henry scored three goals in seven games for The Gunners last year upon his return to the club and manager Arsene Wenger has talked up another move for the legendry forward, with both Marouane Chamakh and Gervinho set for African Nations Cup duty in the New Year.
But Red Bulls sporting director Andy Roxburgh says the club would be against such a move, preferring to see their players take an extended rest ahead of the new season.
"In general terms, I wouldn't say it would be something we would favour," Roxburgh said.
"I think the length of the season we have here, when they get the break over the Christmas, New Year's period, they need to regenerate themselves. I'd say in general we wouldn't be too positive about it."
"Right now, no-one has requested for anyone to go on loan," he added. "It depends on the individual, it depends on the circumstances. You cannot say never on that one. But it's unlikely, at the moment that would happen."
Arsenal will have Theo Walcott, Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski to reserve in the absence of Chamakh and Gervinho, both of whom have only played bit-part roles this season.
After having a statue of himself unveiled as part of the club's 125th year anniversary, in recognition of his contribution during his eight-year Arsenal career during which he became the club's highest ever goalscorer, Henry went on make a series of cameo appearances.
He netted winning goals against Leeds United in the FA Cup and Sunderland in the Premier League, as well as a goal in a handsome win over Blackburn Rovers in the absence of both Chamakh and Gervinho.
The pair are set to be unavailable again as they take part in the African Nations Cup, and Wenger has hinted he could make another move for Henry.
"Will I sign him again in January? I don't rule it out," the Arsenal manager said. "I don't know if he is interested. He is sharp."
"We will lose Gervinho again as they are playing in the African Cup of Nations two years in a row, so we will be confronted with a shortage particularly if [striker] Marouane Chamakh should go. I cannot stand in his way, then we will be short."
"You know what Thierry gives you; he gives you hope, especially when he comes on, that is the most important thing.
"Thierry is a communicator, an extrovert, very intelligent. He can only give good advice to players because he was in their position when he arrived here."
"I think now this team has an exceptionally good character. There are not many flashy boys. What is the most important thing is not whether you are an extrovert, but what it means to you to do well, your job, your will to win."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop