Clarke Smashes Double-Hundred As Australia Dominate South Africa
By Vanessa Keller | November 22, 2012 10:58 PM EST
Michael Clarke scored his fourth double-hundred of the year to take Australia to a commanding 482-5 in the second test against South Africa, with the Australian hitting a brilliant run of form that has placed his side in the driving seat in Adelaide.
Clarke became the first cricketer in Test history to boast four double-hundreds, with fellow countrymen and legend Don Bradman having scored three in England in 1930.
After scoring 259 not out in the first test, Clarke followed up his performance with a partnership of 155 with Dave Warner, before the opening batsman was dismissed after edging Morne Morkel to Graeme Smith, and his score of 119, including 16 fours and four sixes, was a top-class performance within itself.
Australia looked to be suffering at 55-3 when Clarke came in to bat, with Ricky Ponting going out for 4 in 2.2 overs in what was another disappointing run for the former captain.
Ponting had said that he hoped to prove he was still an important member of the team who are starting to look at who will be travelling to England for the Ashes, but the man who lost three tilts in England as skipper has a long way to go to prove he can still contribute.
South Africa started the day on a high, with Jaques Kallis taking 2-19, dismissing Ed Cowan for 10, but Kallis limped off the ground at 55-3 with a hamstring injury.
This was a big turning point for Australia, who were also without Vernon Philander, with the bowler being ruled out with a back problems at the last minute.
Imran Tahir was particularly disappointing for South Africa, taking 0-159 as Warner and Clarke ran riot, and Micharl Hussey also scored a ton (103) to take the side to a particularly high score for one day of test cricket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop