Clarke Smashes Double-Hundred As Australia Dominate South Africa
By Vanessa Keller | November 22, 2012 10:58 PM EST
Michael Clarke scored his fourth double-hundred of the year to take Australia to a commanding 482-5 in the second test against South Africa, with the Australian hitting a brilliant run of form that has placed his side in the driving seat in Adelaide.
Clarke became the first cricketer in Test history to boast four double-hundreds, with fellow countrymen and legend Don Bradman having scored three in England in 1930.
After scoring 259 not out in the first test, Clarke followed up his performance with a partnership of 155 with Dave Warner, before the opening batsman was dismissed after edging Morne Morkel to Graeme Smith, and his score of 119, including 16 fours and four sixes, was a top-class performance within itself.
Australia looked to be suffering at 55-3 when Clarke came in to bat, with Ricky Ponting going out for 4 in 2.2 overs in what was another disappointing run for the former captain.
Ponting had said that he hoped to prove he was still an important member of the team who are starting to look at who will be travelling to England for the Ashes, but the man who lost three tilts in England as skipper has a long way to go to prove he can still contribute.
South Africa started the day on a high, with Jaques Kallis taking 2-19, dismissing Ed Cowan for 10, but Kallis limped off the ground at 55-3 with a hamstring injury.
This was a big turning point for Australia, who were also without Vernon Philander, with the bowler being ruled out with a back problems at the last minute.
Imran Tahir was particularly disappointing for South Africa, taking 0-159 as Warner and Clarke ran riot, and Micharl Hussey also scored a ton (103) to take the side to a particularly high score for one day of test cricket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup