Clarke Smashes Double-Hundred As Australia Dominate South Africa
By Vanessa Keller | November 22, 2012 10:58 PM EST
Michael Clarke scored his fourth double-hundred of the year to take Australia to a commanding 482-5 in the second test against South Africa, with the Australian hitting a brilliant run of form that has placed his side in the driving seat in Adelaide.
Clarke became the first cricketer in Test history to boast four double-hundreds, with fellow countrymen and legend Don Bradman having scored three in England in 1930.
After scoring 259 not out in the first test, Clarke followed up his performance with a partnership of 155 with Dave Warner, before the opening batsman was dismissed after edging Morne Morkel to Graeme Smith, and his score of 119, including 16 fours and four sixes, was a top-class performance within itself.
Australia looked to be suffering at 55-3 when Clarke came in to bat, with Ricky Ponting going out for 4 in 2.2 overs in what was another disappointing run for the former captain.
Ponting had said that he hoped to prove he was still an important member of the team who are starting to look at who will be travelling to England for the Ashes, but the man who lost three tilts in England as skipper has a long way to go to prove he can still contribute.
South Africa started the day on a high, with Jaques Kallis taking 2-19, dismissing Ed Cowan for 10, but Kallis limped off the ground at 55-3 with a hamstring injury.
This was a big turning point for Australia, who were also without Vernon Philander, with the bowler being ruled out with a back problems at the last minute.
Imran Tahir was particularly disappointing for South Africa, taking 0-159 as Warner and Clarke ran riot, and Micharl Hussey also scored a ton (103) to take the side to a particularly high score for one day of test cricket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales