Clarke Smashes Double-Hundred As Australia Dominate South Africa
By Vanessa Keller | November 22, 2012 10:58 PM EST
Michael Clarke scored his fourth double-hundred of the year to take Australia to a commanding 482-5 in the second test against South Africa, with the Australian hitting a brilliant run of form that has placed his side in the driving seat in Adelaide.
Clarke became the first cricketer in Test history to boast four double-hundreds, with fellow countrymen and legend Don Bradman having scored three in England in 1930.
After scoring 259 not out in the first test, Clarke followed up his performance with a partnership of 155 with Dave Warner, before the opening batsman was dismissed after edging Morne Morkel to Graeme Smith, and his score of 119, including 16 fours and four sixes, was a top-class performance within itself.
Australia looked to be suffering at 55-3 when Clarke came in to bat, with Ricky Ponting going out for 4 in 2.2 overs in what was another disappointing run for the former captain.
Ponting had said that he hoped to prove he was still an important member of the team who are starting to look at who will be travelling to England for the Ashes, but the man who lost three tilts in England as skipper has a long way to go to prove he can still contribute.
South Africa started the day on a high, with Jaques Kallis taking 2-19, dismissing Ed Cowan for 10, but Kallis limped off the ground at 55-3 with a hamstring injury.
This was a big turning point for Australia, who were also without Vernon Philander, with the bowler being ruled out with a back problems at the last minute.
Imran Tahir was particularly disappointing for South Africa, taking 0-159 as Warner and Clarke ran riot, and Micharl Hussey also scored a ton (103) to take the side to a particularly high score for one day of test cricket.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How