Reckitt clinches deal to buy Schiff for $1.4 billion
By Ben Hirschler | November 22, 2012 7:56 PM EST
The deal brings Reckitt a new portfolio including MegaRed for heart care, Move Free for joints and Tiger's Milk nutrition bars to add to existing over-the-counter (OTC) health products like Gaviscon for heartburn and Strepsils for sore throats.
The OTC healthcare market is an increasingly attractive space for consumer companies and prescription drugmakers alike, due to its steady growth, even though the medical value of certain products has sometimes been disputed.
Schiff's board of directors approved the previously announced cash tender offer of $42 per share and recommended shareholders tender into the deal, Reckitt said in a statement late on Wednesday.
The agreement had been expected. On Tuesday, Bayer disclosed its decision to capitulate to its rival bidder by not increasing its own offer of $1.2 billion.
Reckitt, the British consumer products group behind Cillit Bang cleaner and Durex condoms, which launched its tender offer for Schiff on November 16, reaffirmed that it expected the deal to boost earnings immediately on an adjusted basis.
Underlining the appeal of non-prescription products, Germany's BASF
Reckitt is paying a hefty price to get into the vitamins and supplements market. Its offer works out at 16.5 times the $85 million of earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) that Salt Lake City-based Schiff expects to make in the year to May 2013.
That is roughly double the multiple Carlyle paid for supplements maker NBTY two years ago, reflecting high expectations for Schiff's products.
Schiff's stock has surged from $10 a share in January to just over $23 before Bayer made its offer late last month. It finished at $41.90 in New York trading on Wednesday.
HEALTH AND HYGIENE
"Schiff's portfolio is an excellent fit with our strategic focus on health and hygiene," said Rakesh Kapoor, Reckitt's chief executive, adding that he aimed to "realise synergies as soon as possible".
Reckitt has a strong track record of achieving savings and sales synergies from previous takeovers, which include the acquisition of Boots's OTC drugs business, cough medicines company Adams and Durex condoms group SSL.
As a result, industry analysts have generally given it the benefit of the doubt in its move on Schiff, which is viewed as making good strategic sense.
Shares in Reckitt, which will finance the transaction with cash and existing credit facilities, were unchanged in early trade on Thursday, broadly in line with the wider market.
Since Schiff had already agreed to Bayer's offer, it will pay Bayer a $22 million fee to terminate the earlier deal.
(Additional reporting by Edwin Chan; Editing by Bernard Orr and Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues