Alcoa Mulls Buying Aluminum Holdings of BHP, Rio Tinto
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 22, 2012 5:56 PM EST
Aluminum producer Alcoa Inc. is mulling to acquire the aluminum holdings of BHP Billiton Ltd. and Rio Tinto Group to boost production requirements in anticipation of a 6.5 per cent growth in demand.
"We're having a look if they've got assets that they want to divest," Alan Cransberg, Alcoa of Australia Ltd. managing director, told reporters after a presentation in Melbourne on Thursday.
"Annual growth of 6.5 per cent is a beautiful number and most in the industry would be happy with that," he noted.
He likewise stressed that Alcoa will remain in the aluminum business. "Demand will remain strong in the long term, driven by Asia," Mr Cransberg said.
"If there's an opportunity that we think we can grow that business and has synergies with our business, we will look at that," he added.
Prices of aluminum have fallen this year by as much as 3.3 per cent, still after an 18 per cent decline last year, prompting both BHP and Rio either to suspend development of aluminum projects or eventually sell them. Earlier this month, BHP divested its 33.3 per cent control in an alumina project in Guinea for $1. It likewise cancelled its smelter construction plans in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Rio likewise has put up for sale 13 aluminum assets, including the Gove operations in Australia, since October last year, as well as divested smelters, mines and alumina plants.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown