Resumption of Uranium Mining in Queensland to Churn in $78B – Seeney
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 22, 2012 5:44 PM EST
The resumption of uranium mining in Queensland could potentially earn for the state some $78 billion, Jeff Seeney, Deputy Premier and Infrastructure Minister, said on Thursday.
In October, the Queensland state government lifted the 30-year uranium mining ban in support to the Australian Prime Minister's desire to sell uranium to India. It immediately created a committee chaired by Paul Bell, Central Queensland Councilor, to oversee the resumption, which has been said could take more than a year.
Mr Seeney, in a conference in Brisbane, said there are currently 35 significant projects being assessed by the state government, which could contribute to the local economy's coffers by as much as $78 billion as well as generate some 40,000 jobs.
"We expect uranium exports to become a strong export earner in the next two decades, significantly adding new jobs in rural and regional areas," he said.
Campbell Newman, Queensland state's premier, although a staunch supporter of the state's no uranium mining policy, was forced to rethink his programs in the light of Australia's trading relations with India, one of many nations needing the uranium yellowcake for nuclear energy.
"With the Prime Minister's stand on uranium exports to India, there is no earthly reason why Queenslanders should miss out on the economic opportunities and the jobs from uranium mining in this state," Mr. Newman had said in October.
Queensland has 80 uranium mine potential sites valued at $18 billion. Most are in the north-west.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?