Miss Universe Australia 2012 National Costume: 10 Things to Know about Renae Ayris' Gown
By Arlene Paredes | November 22, 2012 4:08 PM EST
Miss Universe Australia 2012 Renae Ayris will wear Jessica Bregenhoj's 'the golden country' creation at the finals in Las Vegas next month.
Here are 10 things to know about the white-and-gold ensemble:
10. Sydney-based Bregenhoj said she "wanted [the gown] to represent everything golden, prosperous and lucky about Australia."
9. Bregenhoj, who was mentored by Alex Perry, was "inspired by the sails of the Sydney Opera House."
8. Bregenhoj also said she "wanted it to be really fresh and bright and also represent the sunsets of Australia."
7. It took a month to finish the dress in time for the nationwide competition.
6. The gown was chosen by the Aussie public from 400 competition entries via the breakfast TV show, Sunrise. Four gowns survived elimination after 7000 votes were cast.
5. A pair of white and gold starry gladiator sandals matches the golden country gown.
4. Stephanie Squadrito of pedestrian.tv says the golden country gown winning the competition shows "Australians' collective internal struggle to come to terms with our dire lack of character."
3. Asked for her insight on the gown, Ayris said, "I love it and I don't think people understand you have to have a costume for national costume, and it needs to be out there to stand up to the other countries."
2. Designer Aurelio Costarella was quoted by news.com.au as saying, "I think it's great that an opportunity is given to young emerging designers to create the costume, but once again we've managed to put Miss Universe Australia in a garment that has absolutely nothing to do with our Australian cultural identity."
1. Sydney-based couture and bridal designer Johanna Johnson rated the gown 3/10, saying, "Perhaps rather than showcasing our culture with symbolism, it would be nice to see designers create a gown made from fabrics sourced directly from Australia."
What do you think of Miss Australia's gown for next month's Miss Universe competition in Las Vegas? Does it lack the Australian character, as pointed by critics? See photos of the gown here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation