Miss Universe Australia 2012 National Costume: 10 Things to Know about Renae Ayris' Gown
By Arlene Paredes | November 22, 2012 4:08 PM EST
Miss Universe Australia 2012 Renae Ayris will wear Jessica Bregenhoj's 'the golden country' creation at the finals in Las Vegas next month.
Here are 10 things to know about the white-and-gold ensemble:
10. Sydney-based Bregenhoj said she "wanted [the gown] to represent everything golden, prosperous and lucky about Australia."
9. Bregenhoj, who was mentored by Alex Perry, was "inspired by the sails of the Sydney Opera House."
8. Bregenhoj also said she "wanted it to be really fresh and bright and also represent the sunsets of Australia."
7. It took a month to finish the dress in time for the nationwide competition.
6. The gown was chosen by the Aussie public from 400 competition entries via the breakfast TV show, Sunrise. Four gowns survived elimination after 7000 votes were cast.
5. A pair of white and gold starry gladiator sandals matches the golden country gown.
4. Stephanie Squadrito of pedestrian.tv says the golden country gown winning the competition shows "Australians' collective internal struggle to come to terms with our dire lack of character."
3. Asked for her insight on the gown, Ayris said, "I love it and I don't think people understand you have to have a costume for national costume, and it needs to be out there to stand up to the other countries."
2. Designer Aurelio Costarella was quoted by news.com.au as saying, "I think it's great that an opportunity is given to young emerging designers to create the costume, but once again we've managed to put Miss Universe Australia in a garment that has absolutely nothing to do with our Australian cultural identity."
1. Sydney-based couture and bridal designer Johanna Johnson rated the gown 3/10, saying, "Perhaps rather than showcasing our culture with symbolism, it would be nice to see designers create a gown made from fabrics sourced directly from Australia."
What do you think of Miss Australia's gown for next month's Miss Universe competition in Las Vegas? Does it lack the Australian character, as pointed by critics? See photos of the gown here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date