Mayan Calendar: Believers to Climb Mystical French Mountain for Doomsday Space Shuttle?
By Arlene Paredes | November 22, 2012 1:11 PM EST
Pic de Bugarach, a strange mountain in Southern France is expected to be flocked by cult members who believe the world will end on December 21 - just 29 days from today. The doomsday believers will reportedly gather atop the mountain to wait for a space shuttle that will save Earth dwellers from the planet's catastrophic end.
An important cycle in the Mayan calendar is believed to indicate the world's end on December 21. As the date draws near, Mayan calendar followers are expected to throw some last ditch efforts to survive a chaotic doom. However, some sources point out that there will only be some grand spiritual transformation on this day. Still, some myth believers are headed to Pic de Bugarach to save themselves.
Pic de Bugarach, also known as Peak of Bugarag, is known to many as a mystical mountain of strange geological composition. Bugarag's top layer is older than the bottom layers. This feature earned its description as an "upside-down mountain." Standing at 1,230 metres (4,040 ft), the peak is believed to house mystical powers and alien life.
Pic de Bugarach as Alien Shelter
Myth has it that such upside-down composition was made possible by aliens who caved themselves in the mountain to take refuge on Earth until doomsday. These aliens who have been staying inside the mountain are believed to be expecting the arrival of their mother ship some time before the world collapses to its end. It is further believed the aliens will save some Earthlings as they flee.
Pic de Bugarach is the highest peak in the Corbières mountains in Southern France, where farming and wine-growing are the usual sources of income. The western part of the mountain is part of a small village called Bugarach, with an estimated 200 dwellers. It has become a famous spot for myth-believing tourists.
French police to prevent entry to Pic de Bugarach?
Scott Waring, owner of the site ufosightingsdaily.com reported over a hundred police and firefighters will man the borders of Pic de Bugarach by December. Authorities will reportedly be there to stop anyone from getting to the top of the mountain.
"This is another clear attempt by the world governments to control our fate as well as to try to cover up all attempts that aliens make to meet or help humans," Waring wrote.
It has earlier been reported by The Independent that "up to 100,000 people" may gather at Bugarach ahead of December 21.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date