Queensland Mines Brace for Storms
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 22, 2012 1:05 PM EST
Mines located in Queensland ought to brace for potential ill-effects of the impending wet season as well as ensure that their respective safety contingency plans are in place and at the same time are working.
Andrew Cripps, Queensland Minister for Natural Resources and Mines, in a statement said it is imperative that mining operations have effective and working site contingency plans that will work against any weather events that may arise.
"We saw the devastation caused during the 2010-11 wet season when floodwaters inundated many Queensland mines and brought the coal industry to a virtual standstill," Mr Cripps said.
"Destructive winds and heavy rain can damage surface structures, cause site flooding, and lead to dangerous conditions for workers," he said.
Earlier in the month, the Department of Natural Resources and Mines issued a storm checklist to guide industry operators what needs to be arranged before, during and after the onslaught of a potentially damaging weather condition.
"The 2010-11 wet season demonstrated that not being prepared can put lives at risk and disrupt mining operations for many months," Mr Cripps said.
"That's why mine operators and workers need to be aware of any potential hazards that could occur and make preparations to deal with severe weather."
The massive and heavy flooding in 2010-11 likewise brought severe damage to the economy of Queensland. In February 2011, Queensland shipped only eight million tonnes of coal versus the 12 million tonnes recorded in February 2010, according to the Queensland Resources Council.
With the onset of global warning, miners in Queensland may as well psyche themselves that the state had yet to see the end yet of disastrous wet seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- MH 17 Victims’ In Germany To Sue Ukraine For Man Slaughter: German Pilot Says Plane's Cockpit Was Fired From Both Sides
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L