Tufts University Rescinds Lance Armstrong's Honorary Degree
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 8:07 AM EST
Tufts University in Massachusetts announced Wednesday that it has rescinded Lance Armstrong's honorary degree, the Associated Press reported.
According to a university spokeswoman, the school’s board of trustees unanimously decided at their recent monthly meeting to revoke the doctor of humane letters degree Armstrong received in 2006.
As part of the honor, Armstrong delivered the keynote speech at Tufts 2006 commencement ceremonies. Wearing a Tufts cycling jersey beneath his academic robes, the former cyclist spoke about his battle with testicular cancer and encouraged the graduating students to “be involved.”
“Be active. Be involved. Be heard. Be aggressive. Be smart. Don't be afraid,” he told graduates.
Last month Armstrong was stripped of seven Tour De France titles after the U.S. anti-doping agency discovered that he was using performance-enhancing drugs.
Following the news, he stepped down Chairman of his charity, Lance Armstrong Foundation and removed mention of his Tour De France titles from his Twitter profile description.
Tufts University stated its reason for rescinding Armstrong of his honorary degree was because his “actions as an athlete are inconsistent with the values of the university.”
Last week, the Lance Armstrong Foundation officially disassociated from him and changed its name to the Livestrong Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown