Tufts University Rescinds Lance Armstrong's Honorary Degree
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 8:07 AM EST
Tufts University in Massachusetts announced Wednesday that it has rescinded Lance Armstrong's honorary degree, the Associated Press reported.
According to a university spokeswoman, the school’s board of trustees unanimously decided at their recent monthly meeting to revoke the doctor of humane letters degree Armstrong received in 2006.
As part of the honor, Armstrong delivered the keynote speech at Tufts 2006 commencement ceremonies. Wearing a Tufts cycling jersey beneath his academic robes, the former cyclist spoke about his battle with testicular cancer and encouraged the graduating students to “be involved.”
“Be active. Be involved. Be heard. Be aggressive. Be smart. Don't be afraid,” he told graduates.
Last month Armstrong was stripped of seven Tour De France titles after the U.S. anti-doping agency discovered that he was using performance-enhancing drugs.
Following the news, he stepped down Chairman of his charity, Lance Armstrong Foundation and removed mention of his Tour De France titles from his Twitter profile description.
Tufts University stated its reason for rescinding Armstrong of his honorary degree was because his “actions as an athlete are inconsistent with the values of the university.”
Last week, the Lance Armstrong Foundation officially disassociated from him and changed its name to the Livestrong Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family