Tufts University Rescinds Lance Armstrong's Honorary Degree
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 8:07 AM EST
Tufts University in Massachusetts announced Wednesday that it has rescinded Lance Armstrong's honorary degree, the Associated Press reported.
According to a university spokeswoman, the school’s board of trustees unanimously decided at their recent monthly meeting to revoke the doctor of humane letters degree Armstrong received in 2006.
As part of the honor, Armstrong delivered the keynote speech at Tufts 2006 commencement ceremonies. Wearing a Tufts cycling jersey beneath his academic robes, the former cyclist spoke about his battle with testicular cancer and encouraged the graduating students to “be involved.”
“Be active. Be involved. Be heard. Be aggressive. Be smart. Don't be afraid,” he told graduates.
Last month Armstrong was stripped of seven Tour De France titles after the U.S. anti-doping agency discovered that he was using performance-enhancing drugs.
Following the news, he stepped down Chairman of his charity, Lance Armstrong Foundation and removed mention of his Tour De France titles from his Twitter profile description.
Tufts University stated its reason for rescinding Armstrong of his honorary degree was because his “actions as an athlete are inconsistent with the values of the university.”
Last week, the Lance Armstrong Foundation officially disassociated from him and changed its name to the Livestrong Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0