Tufts University Rescinds Lance Armstrong's Honorary Degree
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 8:07 AM EST
Tufts University in Massachusetts announced Wednesday that it has rescinded Lance Armstrong's honorary degree, the Associated Press reported.
According to a university spokeswoman, the school’s board of trustees unanimously decided at their recent monthly meeting to revoke the doctor of humane letters degree Armstrong received in 2006.
As part of the honor, Armstrong delivered the keynote speech at Tufts 2006 commencement ceremonies. Wearing a Tufts cycling jersey beneath his academic robes, the former cyclist spoke about his battle with testicular cancer and encouraged the graduating students to “be involved.”
“Be active. Be involved. Be heard. Be aggressive. Be smart. Don't be afraid,” he told graduates.
Last month Armstrong was stripped of seven Tour De France titles after the U.S. anti-doping agency discovered that he was using performance-enhancing drugs.
Following the news, he stepped down Chairman of his charity, Lance Armstrong Foundation and removed mention of his Tour De France titles from his Twitter profile description.
Tufts University stated its reason for rescinding Armstrong of his honorary degree was because his “actions as an athlete are inconsistent with the values of the university.”
Last week, the Lance Armstrong Foundation officially disassociated from him and changed its name to the Livestrong Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand