Chicago Fog Cancels Over 100 Flights Amid Thanksgiving Rush
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 5:33 AM EST
Dark clouds loomed over many travelers in the Midwest on the eve of Thanksgiving as a dense blanket of fog forced airlines to cancel more than 140 flights and delay nearly 600 more in and out of Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis.
At least 92 flights out of Chicago O’Hare were canceled Wednesday, while another 398 were delayed, according to industry tracker FlightStats.com. The site reported visibility at the airport Wednesday morning as zero.
Chicago Midway, meanwhile, saw 20 cancellations and 142 delays, while Lambert-St. Louis and Detroit Metropolitan Wayne each had about a dozen cancellations and many more delays.
A dense fog advisory issued by the National Weather Service stretched from southern Missouri to northern Michigan and Wisconsin, including Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee. The foul weather not only affected travel in the sky but also on the ground, with the National Weather Service claiming visibility was well under a quarter of a mile in many locations.
“This dense fog is affecting travel conditions on roadways, with multiple accidents being reported,” the agency said, adding that it expected the fog to gradually improve by the afternoon.
Delays on land and in the sky came on the eve of Thanksgiving in the U.S. and fell on one of the busiest travel days of the year. Chicago’s main airport, O’Hare, is a hub for both American Airlines and United Continental, the world’s largest airline. According to the Chicago Department of Aviation, nearly 1.8 million people are expected to travel through the city’s airports during the eight-day holiday travel period, which runs from Nov. 20 to Nov. 27.
If the fog subsides, travel should return to normal by Wednesday evening.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border