When Pigs Fly: Chinese Farmer Claims Diving Hogs Make Tastier Pork [VIDEO]
By Alfred Joyner | November 22, 2012 3:59 AM EST
A Chinese farmer has trained his pigs to dive underwater in the belief that it improves their taste and will attract more visitors to his rural home in Hunan province.
Pig breeder Huang Deming has connected the animal's pen to a 10ft chute above a lake. From the age of one month the hogs are made to jump off the chute into the water below three times a day. Some, said Huang, were made to jump 30 times in day.
A pedometer is used to measure the progress of each pig, with the animal only fed after taking a minimum of 2,000 steps and "exercising" for an hour.
Sixty pigs have been trained to dive since last year at his farm in Guanshan village, Ningxiang county, attracting inquisitive tourists and increasing the value of the pigs. Huang claimed that his herd were healthier and grew faster than non-diving pigs and that the exercise regime made the pork leaner and sold for three times as much as ordinary pigs.
Fellow farmer Fan Rong said the animals were attracting investors from around the area.
"Our pigs look and taste better, and they are much sought after. And there are many people who have come to fix a time for purchase, and two heads of such pigs have been booked in advance," she said.
Critics deemed the practice unnecessary and cruel with a video of the diving pigs posted online sparking a furore.
Prof Gu Xianhong of the Chinese Institute of Animal Sciences said: "What this farmer is doing is against the pigs' nature. It merely makes the animals anxious and violates their welfare".
China slaughters roughly 600 million hogs every year, one for every 2.2 people in the country, and consumes half the global output of pig meat, according to Chinese offical statistics.
This demand has been increasing rapidly over the past decade as the country's growing middle classes are consuming more meat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand