Fiona Apple Cancels South American Tour Dates For Dying Dog
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 22, 2012 3:48 AM EST
Fiona Apple has canceled four upcoming tour dates in order to care for her ailing 14-year-old dog. On Tuesday, Apple made the announcement with a four-page handwritten letter posted to her Facebook page chronicling her relationship her beloved pooch and asking fans to understand.
According to the New York Times, Apple has just wrapped the North American portion of her tour for the album "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do" and was scheduled to perform in São Paulo, Porto Alegre, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this month. The Grammy-winning performer was also slated to perform in Mexico's capital Mexico City next month.
“I am not the woman who puts her career ahead of love and friendship. I am the woman who stays home and bakes Tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend,” Apple said in the letter. “I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel. And I am asking for your blessing.”
Though no plans to re-schedule canceled performances have been announced, the singer does hint that she and her fans may "meet a little while later."
Apple states in the letter that she rescued Janet, a pit bull once used in dogfights, from Echo Park in Los Angeles, Calif. Apple, who was 21 at the time of the rescue, referred to the dog as "my child" and wrote that she is suffering from Addison's Disease and a chest tumor.
According to PetInsurance, Addison's Disease is a hormonal disorder that typically affects middle-aged female dogs.
"Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact." Apple adds. "She's my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is. I can't come to South America. Not now."
The June release of "The Idler Wheel," marked the 35-year-old's highly anticipated return to music after a seven-year hiatus.
Apple, who made her debut in the 1994, made headlines in September when TMZ reported that she was arrested in Sierra Blanca, Tx., for hashish possession.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’