Fiona Apple Cancels South American Tour Dates For Dying Dog
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 22, 2012 3:48 AM EST
Fiona Apple has canceled four upcoming tour dates in order to care for her ailing 14-year-old dog. On Tuesday, Apple made the announcement with a four-page handwritten letter posted to her Facebook page chronicling her relationship her beloved pooch and asking fans to understand.
According to the New York Times, Apple has just wrapped the North American portion of her tour for the album "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do" and was scheduled to perform in São Paulo, Porto Alegre, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this month. The Grammy-winning performer was also slated to perform in Mexico's capital Mexico City next month.
“I am not the woman who puts her career ahead of love and friendship. I am the woman who stays home and bakes Tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend,” Apple said in the letter. “I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel. And I am asking for your blessing.”
Though no plans to re-schedule canceled performances have been announced, the singer does hint that she and her fans may "meet a little while later."
Apple states in the letter that she rescued Janet, a pit bull once used in dogfights, from Echo Park in Los Angeles, Calif. Apple, who was 21 at the time of the rescue, referred to the dog as "my child" and wrote that she is suffering from Addison's Disease and a chest tumor.
According to PetInsurance, Addison's Disease is a hormonal disorder that typically affects middle-aged female dogs.
"Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact." Apple adds. "She's my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is. I can't come to South America. Not now."
The June release of "The Idler Wheel," marked the 35-year-old's highly anticipated return to music after a seven-year hiatus.
Apple, who made her debut in the 1994, made headlines in September when TMZ reported that she was arrested in Sierra Blanca, Tx., for hashish possession.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 24-26, 2014: The Forresters, Logans And Spencers Will Celebrate Thanksgiving Day At The Forrester Mansion
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Promo Video And Synopsis For Episode 9 Titled ‘I Alone’ Tease Continuation Of Mission To Bring Bonnie Back [WATCH]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced