Fiona Apple Cancels South American Tour Dates For Dying Dog
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 22, 2012 3:48 AM EST
Fiona Apple has canceled four upcoming tour dates in order to care for her ailing 14-year-old dog. On Tuesday, Apple made the announcement with a four-page handwritten letter posted to her Facebook page chronicling her relationship her beloved pooch and asking fans to understand.
According to the New York Times, Apple has just wrapped the North American portion of her tour for the album "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do" and was scheduled to perform in São Paulo, Porto Alegre, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this month. The Grammy-winning performer was also slated to perform in Mexico's capital Mexico City next month.
“I am not the woman who puts her career ahead of love and friendship. I am the woman who stays home and bakes Tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend,” Apple said in the letter. “I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel. And I am asking for your blessing.”
Though no plans to re-schedule canceled performances have been announced, the singer does hint that she and her fans may "meet a little while later."
Apple states in the letter that she rescued Janet, a pit bull once used in dogfights, from Echo Park in Los Angeles, Calif. Apple, who was 21 at the time of the rescue, referred to the dog as "my child" and wrote that she is suffering from Addison's Disease and a chest tumor.
According to PetInsurance, Addison's Disease is a hormonal disorder that typically affects middle-aged female dogs.
"Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact." Apple adds. "She's my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is. I can't come to South America. Not now."
The June release of "The Idler Wheel," marked the 35-year-old's highly anticipated return to music after a seven-year hiatus.
Apple, who made her debut in the 1994, made headlines in September when TMZ reported that she was arrested in Sierra Blanca, Tx., for hashish possession.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- The Bachelor Australia: Tim, Anna Relationship Update
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools