Fiona Apple Cancels South American Tour Dates For Dying Dog
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 22, 2012 3:48 AM EST
Fiona Apple has canceled four upcoming tour dates in order to care for her ailing 14-year-old dog. On Tuesday, Apple made the announcement with a four-page handwritten letter posted to her Facebook page chronicling her relationship her beloved pooch and asking fans to understand.
According to the New York Times, Apple has just wrapped the North American portion of her tour for the album "The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do" and was scheduled to perform in São Paulo, Porto Alegre, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this month. The Grammy-winning performer was also slated to perform in Mexico's capital Mexico City next month.
“I am not the woman who puts her career ahead of love and friendship. I am the woman who stays home and bakes Tilapia for my dearest, oldest friend,” Apple said in the letter. “I am staying home, and I am listening to her snore and wheeze, and reveling in the swampiest, most awful breath that ever emanated from an angel. And I am asking for your blessing.”
Though no plans to re-schedule canceled performances have been announced, the singer does hint that she and her fans may "meet a little while later."
Apple states in the letter that she rescued Janet, a pit bull once used in dogfights, from Echo Park in Los Angeles, Calif. Apple, who was 21 at the time of the rescue, referred to the dog as "my child" and wrote that she is suffering from Addison's Disease and a chest tumor.
According to PetInsurance, Addison's Disease is a hormonal disorder that typically affects middle-aged female dogs.
"Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact." Apple adds. "She's my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor, and she's the one who taught me what love is. I can't come to South America. Not now."
The June release of "The Idler Wheel," marked the 35-year-old's highly anticipated return to music after a seven-year hiatus.
Apple, who made her debut in the 1994, made headlines in September when TMZ reported that she was arrested in Sierra Blanca, Tx., for hashish possession.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Kaley Cuoco Says ‘Season 8 Here We Come’ In Instagram Video, Sports Pixie Haircut
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop