California: Thieves Steal Four Ancient Indian Rock Carvings in 'Worst Vandalism Ever'
By Dominic Gover | November 22, 2012 2:45 AM EST
Vandals stole four ancient Indian rock carvings from a heritage site in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Bishop, California, it has been revealed.
The thieves used cement-cutting powersaws to dislodge the petroglyphs from the volcanic rock in which they were carved between 3,500 and 5,000 years ago.
Six carvings were targeted in all, and around a quarter of the remote site was defaced.
One of the ancient etchings was found dropped and smashed in a nearby car park, while another remained in place, but was badly scarred by hammer marks.
Experts suggested that just one of the ancient panels could be worth $1,000 on the black market.
US government archaeologist Greg Haverstock told NBC News that the theft was "the worst act of vandalism ever seen" on the site. He added:
"The individuals who did this were not surgeons, they were smashing and grabbing. I think it's akin to someone going and cutting pieces out of the Wailing Wall,"
The authorities have also informed leaders of the Paiute-Shoshone tribe, which considers the carvings sacred.
"It was the toughest phone call I ever had to make," said field officer Bernadette Lavato, speaking to the Los Angeles Times.
"Their culture and spiritual beliefs had been horribly violated. We will do everything in our power to bring those back."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate