California: Thieves Steal Four Ancient Indian Rock Carvings in 'Worst Vandalism Ever'
By Dominic Gover | November 22, 2012 2:45 AM EST
Vandals stole four ancient Indian rock carvings from a heritage site in the Sierra Nevada mountains near Bishop, California, it has been revealed.
The thieves used cement-cutting powersaws to dislodge the petroglyphs from the volcanic rock in which they were carved between 3,500 and 5,000 years ago.
Six carvings were targeted in all, and around a quarter of the remote site was defaced.
One of the ancient etchings was found dropped and smashed in a nearby car park, while another remained in place, but was badly scarred by hammer marks.
Experts suggested that just one of the ancient panels could be worth $1,000 on the black market.
US government archaeologist Greg Haverstock told NBC News that the theft was "the worst act of vandalism ever seen" on the site. He added:
"The individuals who did this were not surgeons, they were smashing and grabbing. I think it's akin to someone going and cutting pieces out of the Wailing Wall,"
The authorities have also informed leaders of the Paiute-Shoshone tribe, which considers the carvings sacred.
"It was the toughest phone call I ever had to make," said field officer Bernadette Lavato, speaking to the Los Angeles Times.
"Their culture and spiritual beliefs had been horribly violated. We will do everything in our power to bring those back."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier