Frank Ocean Discusses Coming Out In GQ Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 22, 2012 1:58 AM EST
Artist Frank Ocean is featured in the latest issue of GQ magazine, as one of their coveted "men of the year." In the interview, he reveals why he went public with his sexuality, penning a letter to his fans earlier this year.
“If I’m going to say this, I’m going to be better than all you pieces of [expletive],” Ocean explained.
“What you going to say now? You can’t say, ‘Oh, they’re only listening to him because he said this.’ No, they’re listening to me because I’m gifted, and this project is brilliant.’”
Ocean also admits that he feared his sexuality would hurt his music career.
“I had those fears. In black music, we’ve got so many leaps and bounds to make with acceptance and tolerance in regard to that issue. It reflects something just ingrained, you know.
"When I was growing up, there was nobody in my family — not even my mother — who I could look to and be like, ‘I know you’ve never said anything homophobic.’ So, you know, you worry about people in the business who you’ve heard talk that way,” Ocean said.
He also discusses whether or not he considers himself to be bisexual.
“I’ll respectfully say that life is dynamic and comes along with dynamic experiences, and the same sentiment that I have towards genres of music, I have towards a lot of labels and boxes and shit. I’m in this business to be creative — I’ll even diminish it and say to be a content provider.
"One of the pieces of content that I’m for [expletive] sure not giving is porn videos. I’m not a centerfold. I’m not trying to sell you sex. People should pay attention to that in the letter: I didn’t need to label it for it to have impact.”
Many celebrities came forward to talk about their appreciation for Ocean having the courage to reveal his sexuality in a hip-hop community that often talks down on homosexuality and is perceived as being very hyper-masculine.
In the latest issue of Complex magazine, Alicia Keys Keys spoke about her admiration for him.
“That was super brave and I’m so glad that he wrote it [the letter],” Keys told Complex. “He is the voice for so many people. We’re all boxed in to these stupid things that we’re taught is the way we’re supposed to be and it’s so ridiculous.
"There are so many people that need a champion to assure them that no matter who you are, you are a beautiful person. That doesn’t change the fact that you’re talented or intelligent. Thank God that we have come to this place where we can actually know and be more open to the fact that people come in all different ways. And that’s great because it’s a very boring world otherwise,” she added.
Check out the rest of Frank Ocean’s interview with GQ here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Ian Somerhalder: 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Hints CW TV Series Could End With Season 6, Shares Latest Project on Instagram
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements