13-Year-Old Lourdes Guzman Shot Dead on Florida School Bus
By Hannah Osborne | November 22, 2012 1:58 AM EST
A 13-year-old girl has been shot dead on her school bus in front of her seven-year-old sister in Florida.
Lourdes Guzman was taken to Miami Children's Hospital, but she later died from her injuries.
Miami-Dade Police Department said a 15-year-old boy, Jordyn Alexander Howe, was arrested and charged with manslaughter and carrying a concealed firearm.
It is thought the gun went off by accident on the bus. A police statement said: "According to detectives, officers responded to a report of shots fired inside of a private school bus. Responding officers discovered a 13-year-old female suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.
"Officers immediately identified the subject and were able to recover the firearm. Approximately eight other children were in the bus at the time of the incident, including the victim's seven-year-old sibling. None of the children were injured."
Detective Roy Rutland told CBS Miami that throughout the investigation, Howe had appeared "remorseful".
"Obviously based on the charge of manslaughter, and based on the investigation and the evidence and based on interviews we conducted with him, it does appear to be an accident," Rutland said.
"I can assure you there was a comprehensive interview done regarding that gun, its whereabouts and where it originated, and based on what we're hearing it doesn't appear that anyone else will be charged at this time."
Speaking about the child witnesses, Alvaro Zabaleta, from the police department, said: "It's traumatic for them for what they had to witness to begin with and now you're going to have to question them to ask them exactly what they saw.
"We're dealing with small children so the questioning process is going to be a lot different. The children, they're already shaken up over what they had to witness and on top of that you have to question them. So this is going to take a very slow and tedious process."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales