Flower Calls On England Side To Follow Cook’s Lead
By Vanessa Keller | November 22, 2012 1:15 AM EST
Andy Flower has called on the England side to follow in the footsteps of Alastair Cook, as they look to recover from their first test loss to India and get ready to take a victory in the next.
Cook went against the grain of his team to score 176 runs in the second innings, but it wasn't enough to allow England the win, going down to India by nine wickets.
Their total in the second innings was an encouraging 406, and as Flower prepares the team to bounce back, the coach insisted that if the others follow Cook's suit, they will be in good esteem to draw the series.
"Cook is a strong bloke and a very, very fine cricketer," he told BBC Sport. "We need more of our men to stand up in the way that he did. There was a lot to be learned from watching him.
"I was obviously very impressed, along with the rest of the cricketing world that saw Cook play.
"His was a lovely blend of concentration but also skill against the turning ball, and he played the reverse swing very comfortably.
"His decision-making, balance of risk and reward was excellent. "
England had to accept a massive amount of criticism for their display against India, and Stuart Broad took to Twitter this week to make his case for the side, claiming that some experts weren't qualified to judge them on just one loss.
And Flower has been equally defensive, claiming that he has players who are capable of getting one back over India.
"Judge us in three Tests' time," he insisted. "If we'd batted in the first innings like we batted in the second it might have been a different story and a different result.
"However that's not the case, that's for sure. Those three wickets hurt us at the end of day two, obviously, and the ball turned quite sharply and quite quickly in that first innings. And there were a few soft dismissals which cost us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect