Jobless claims fall, still high due to superstorm
November 22, 2012 12:42 AM EST
The number of Americans filing new claims for jobless benefits fell last week but remained elevated due to superstorm Sandy, a sign the storm is proving to be a substantial disruption to the labor market.
Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped 41,000 to a seasonally adjusted 410,000, the Labor Department said on Wednesday. That was smack in line with the median forecast in a Reuters poll.
The drop in claims only partially unwinds the 90,000-claim increase registered the prior week. The Labor Department revised upward its estimate for new claims in the week ending Nov 10 to 451,000.
An analyst from the department said several states were still reporting an increase in claims due to Sandy, a mammoth storm that slammed into the East Coast on October 29.
The storm left millions of homes and businesses without electricity, shut down public transportation and led many factories in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast to curtail production. Retail sales fell as Sandy slammed the brakes on automobile purchases last month.
However, the economic impact of the storm is likely to be temporary.
The four-week moving average for jobless claims, which smoothes out volatility, rose 9,500 to 396,250. Economists generally think a reading below 400,000 points to an increase in employment.
Continuing claims for jobless benefits dropped 30,000 in the week ended November 10 to a seasonally adjusted 3.337 million, the Labor Department said.
(Reporting by Jason Lange; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery