Mertesacker Admits Arsenal Difficulties
By Nick Howson | November 22, 2012 12:34 AM EST
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has spoken of the trouble he first encountered when joining the club last summer.
Mertesacker was among a spate of signings for The Gunners during the back-end of the transfer window, and the German found it tough to settle into the pace of English football with a series of uncertain performances as the club struggled early in the 2011/12 campaign.
However, a tough start has been replaced by an impressive beginning to the season, and the 28 year old says he now feels more settled in the Premier League.
"I had a very difficult first season with all the settling in and the new things at Arsenal," Mertesacker said.
"It was quite tough for me but now I feel much more comfortable with the situation, with the season, with opponents, with our team as well, with the game we play.
"It's much more physical than the Bundesliga so you have to make your mind up about the tackles, about the way you cover your partner. So I set those things up a bit and I feel much better than last season.
"I'm enjoying my football, especially at Arsenal. We try to play our game, to set the pace and the improvement was so big, especially when you train more than one year with a team.
"The improvement is that big and I think you can see it. You can see those players who came in this year; they need a bit of time to settle in completely."
Mertesacker and co helped Arsenal towards the best defensive record earlier in the season, but defeats to Manchester United and the draw with Fulham has seen them slip behind the likes of Manchester City and Stoke City.
The former Werder Bremen defender was among a spate of late summer signing from Arsene Wenger following the departure of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas, with Mikel Arteta, Park Chu-Young and Yossi Benayoun also joining Arsenal late in the window.
The club's improved start to the season, in stark contrast to the previous campaign, gives Arsenal a genuine chance of penetrating the Premier League top three.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around