Mertesacker Admits Arsenal Difficulties
By Nick Howson | November 22, 2012 12:34 AM EST
Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker has spoken of the trouble he first encountered when joining the club last summer.
Mertesacker was among a spate of signings for The Gunners during the back-end of the transfer window, and the German found it tough to settle into the pace of English football with a series of uncertain performances as the club struggled early in the 2011/12 campaign.
However, a tough start has been replaced by an impressive beginning to the season, and the 28 year old says he now feels more settled in the Premier League.
"I had a very difficult first season with all the settling in and the new things at Arsenal," Mertesacker said.
"It was quite tough for me but now I feel much more comfortable with the situation, with the season, with opponents, with our team as well, with the game we play.
"It's much more physical than the Bundesliga so you have to make your mind up about the tackles, about the way you cover your partner. So I set those things up a bit and I feel much better than last season.
"I'm enjoying my football, especially at Arsenal. We try to play our game, to set the pace and the improvement was so big, especially when you train more than one year with a team.
"The improvement is that big and I think you can see it. You can see those players who came in this year; they need a bit of time to settle in completely."
Mertesacker and co helped Arsenal towards the best defensive record earlier in the season, but defeats to Manchester United and the draw with Fulham has seen them slip behind the likes of Manchester City and Stoke City.
The former Werder Bremen defender was among a spate of late summer signing from Arsene Wenger following the departure of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas, with Mikel Arteta, Park Chu-Young and Yossi Benayoun also joining Arsenal late in the window.
The club's improved start to the season, in stark contrast to the previous campaign, gives Arsenal a genuine chance of penetrating the Premier League top three.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date