'Thuppakki' First Week Box Office Collection Crosses ₹65 Crore
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 22, 2012 12:09 AM EST
The first week worldwide box office collection of Vijay's latest film, "Thuppakki" has reportedly crossed ₹65 crore after witnessing a great opening earlier last week.
"Thuppakki" is a Tamil film directed by A. R. Murugadoss and was released in over 2,000 screens worldwide on Tuesday (Diwali) along with another Tamil film titled, "Podaa Podi," starring Silambarasan and Varalaxmi Sarathkumar.
"The film collected Rs 65.32 crore worldwide in the first week. In Tamil Nadu, Thuppakki raked in Rs 40 crore and above in the first six days and it continues to run to packed houses. It is also doing good business in neighbouring states such as Kerala and Andhra Pradesh," IANS quoted trade analyst Trinath as saying.
"Thuppakki" reportedly earned ₹45.60 crore from six days of screening in Tamil Nadu state alone. It had a great opening in Tamil Nadu with theatres running to full houses. A few websites even claimed that the film enjoyed 100 percent occupancy in most theatres in Tamil Nadu and did even better than Shah Rukh Khan's much-hyped, "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" that released on the same day.
Trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted on Saturday that "Thuppakki" earned ₹19.88 lakh from six locations in Australia in the first three days, and ₹62.32 lakh from 23 locations in UK, taking the total earning from overseas to ₹82.2 lakh.
"Thuppakki" reportedly collected ₹9.25 crore on the first day, ₹8.10 crore on the second day and ₹4.80 crore on the third day.
"#Thuppakki - Diwali Release day - Nets an astonishing Rs 9.25 Crore approximately from TN. Extraordinary!" tweeted entertainment industry tracker Sreedhar Pillai.
"Thuppakki" is an action thriller featuring Vijay and Kajal Aggarwal in lead roles. It is produced by Kalaipuli S. Dhanu and directed by A. R. Murugadoss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 15-19, 2014: Ava And Morgan Talk About The Baby
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Kim Kardashian-West Frantically Tries For Second Baby To Match Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Timeline
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List